Building a custom .308 bolt rifle or off the shelf

slickpuppy

I am new to this caliber and have been looking around at some of the rifles out there and I guess maybe I am too picky. I looked at the Remingtons, Winchesters, and Savages and they don't really float my boat. About the only thing I see that I like off the shelf is the Steyr SBS Tactical McMillan
rifle in .308. I was wanting to use the rifle to get started in long range target shooting, mostly at 600 yards. Having reviewed posts from a lot of the experts floating around with long range experience it is my understanding that .308 would not be a great choice for 1000 yard competition if I expand my horizons to that distance (correct me if I am wrong). If I were to have a bolt gun built around .308 what would be a good action/barrel/barrel twist combination? Would it be worthwhile to find an old Mauser 98 action to use? I have a Kreiger barrel on a custom AR15 that shoots sub moa when I do my part. Is the Kreiger a good choice for .308? I know there are 2 camps regarding button rifling versus hammer forged, but isn't barrel life for hammer forged much greater than a button rifled
barrel? Also, could anyone give me a ballpark price for the Steyr SBS Tactical McMillan vs. custom built bolt gun with comparable stocks, etc? Thanks for any insight and enlightenment you can provide.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited October 22, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited October 23, 1999).]

See Gale McMillan reply's to gain twist barrel question for barrel recomendation obout brands and twist rates. 1-12 for 308, I think that will be good for 168 or 175 grain max if you want to shoot heavier us 30-06 or 300 mag As to yardage from sniping stand point have heard from very reliabel sources, about 700 yards is max for 308 runs out of steam past that for man sized targets, if you want 1000 buy 300mag or 338lapua if you really want 1000-1500 with portability of platform.

Read some posts from gale and others who are much more knowledgeable than myself.

------------------
The beauty of the second Amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it. T JEFFERSON

Don't sell the Savage short. I have two of them - 110S in .308 and a Varmit model in 22-250. They are the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. The 110S with just glass bedding groups several different loads under .500" @ 100 yds. The 22-250 is just as accurate. If you are looking to shoot at 1000 yds. a .308 is not enough. There is a new round from Remington called the 300 Ultra that looks promising. BTW you can now get a good trigger for the Savage.

Back