Building a better 1911.

Airborne

Hello to all. This is the first time I have posted a message to this board, and feel it a privlege to participate. You are all part of a very high quality experience.
My inquisition is this:
I want to "build" a 1911 from an inexpensive base 1911...like say a $300.00 starter. What is the best base 1911 (Frame/slide)from which to build a sweet shooting 1911 target gun on a reasonable budget. :confused:

I have a custom built by D.R. Middlebrooks on a Colt 1991A1, albeit the base gun was bought over three years ago when the price of this model did not approach highway robbery. A Springfield Mil-Spec should do well for customizing, although the current Loaded models might make you think twice about the cost-effectiveness of going full-on custom. Still, if you have to have a true custom, go for it. You only live once. Stay away from Auto-Ordnance, Brolin, AMT, and even Norinco. Not to bash these brands if others have had good results with them, but among 'the best' of custom pistolsmiths, like Richard Heinie, C.T. Brian, and others, will not work on these brands for quality control reasons, and if you are looking to build the pistol of a lifetime and have a pistolsmith in mind who could execute that level of craftsmanship, I would not be surprised if they, too, would work exclusively on Colts and Springfields(or build guns from scratch out of Caspian /Baer / Wilson /McCormick components).

Airborne, Check out Charles Daly winter project on this forum. I just bought a 1927 thinking I'd make it a project gun, but it shoots so well now, I think I'm going to go the Daly route to have some fun, and keep the 1927 as is.

I do mine from scratch. Start with a Caspian frame, TZZ or Colt slide, Kart barrels, Kings stainless NM bushing,Chip Mcormick(sp) internals and Les Baer beavertail. Then top off with a Bomar melt. Very accurate frankengun.

Thanks for all the good advise! My leanings are toward a Springfield Milspec at the moment. Should be able to find a decent shooter for around $300 I would think,and then work on it as I feel the need. I'm going to the Manchester NH gunshow this weekend to do a little tire kicking. I'll post my experience from the show next week. Best regards.
SM

------------------
"Keep your head down and your powder dry"

Go with the 1927. They are very, very well made pistols, made on eraly Colt equipment by craftsmen, from excellent steel.

Back