building a 1911 and some other thoughts

stuckatwork

What would be involved in rebarreling a 1911 pistol to either .357sig or 10mm? Is there any difference in the slide for these calibers and the good old .45acp. I believe the extractors and the ejectors are different, am I wrong?

Also, I have a Beretta 96 (.40) how much trouble would it be to convert this gun to 10mm? I check with Bar-Sto and they don't make a barrel for the Beretta in 10mm.

I'm open for suggestions.

------------------
You can find the price of freedom, buried in the ground.

stuckatwork, you will need to replace the complete top end. The slide can be opened up at the breech to accomodate the 10mm but really you're better off just getting a 10mm slide. In addition to the barrel, the extractor, firing pin and more times than not, the recoil spring. The .45 ejector should work fine. I've never converted the Beretta so I really can't comment on what would or would not need to be done. George

To make a conversion to a 10mm, you need at least a .45 platform. The Beretta 96 won't work, because the 10mm round is too long to fit in the mag and the gun. It's also loaded to higher pressures and would probably severely batter the gun if it were possible. If you start with a 10mm, it's easier to go to .40/.357Sig. Glock can do that with the 20/29 and EAA Witness pistols have caliber conversion by changing slides.

Back