Building a 1911 .45???

Cyric13

I was thinking about building my own 1911 .45 pistol and was wondering where I could buy a complete kit from that would have everything I need in it to complete a 1911?

thanks, Cyric13

You might want to check out Ed Brown at www.edbrown.com (I really like their products). I know that they carry rebuild kits, and completion kits (i.e. no slide or frame, but everything else including barrel, guide rod, grip safety, springs, pins, etc.) Hmmm... They might carry frames and slides, but I really don't know... But check them out anyways...

I don't think anyone sells a complete kit, but check out Brownell's http://brownells.com/ . They're one stop shopping for any parts or tools you will need to build a 1911. The website is ok, but is slow to find things. The printed catalog is well worth the $5 or whatever it costs now.

www.wilsoncombat.com

I was doing the same thing a few years ago. Called Wilson's and told them the parts I had and explained what I wanted to end up with. They helped me make a list of everything I needed and took the time to explain differences in parts where multiple options were available.

That was it, one phone call (about 1/2 hour) and the parts showed up in a few days.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

You might consider buying a beatup old clunker. The frame and slide would be usable as the base for a nice custom gun. Cheap startup.

One of my better 1911s came from a gun that somebody had tried to groove the front of the grip. Looked like he'd used a hoof-rasp. A set of Pachmyr combat grips covered up that mistake, and everything else was easily fixed.

FWIW, Art

Almost 20 years ago I bought a 1911 kit from Numrich Arms (who are now GunParts Corp) in West Hurley, NY. Everything was included and you'll end up with a GI 1911. It comes "in the white", so you'll need to think about what finsh to put on it. (Tip: I just re-finished a Garand using Brownell's Teflon/Moly spray, and it looks absolutely great.)

If you want to add extended mag releases, safties, etc. those are available from just about anywhere.

The Pachmayr wrap-arounds are a must.

Have fun.

Now that Gunparts sold out the Thomson/AO part of their business to Kahr, I think they include Essex frames in their kits. They used Essex when they first started manufacturing 45's but Essex couldn't supply enough when AO needed them.

Joefo

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joefo (edited December 30, 1999).]

UNless you are doing it for fun don't bother you won't save any money. Buy a Kimber for a single stack and Signature by Para for a double stack, add any extra's to them. There still will be lots of stuff to fiddle with.

Back