Bug spray and deer hunting??

Bill Daniel

Deer season for modern rifle starts this Saturday in KY and we have yet to have a frost. Any solutions for bug repellent that won't spook deer? Ground blind in thick cover.
Thanks
Bill Daniel

These mosquito's down here in Ga...will bite you through a denim jacket...hard to coverup enough to keep them away. And, to hunt in peace...you will also have to wear a net....Thermacell is a lot easier and doesn't seem to affect the deer.

What sort of bugs are you worried about this time of year? A Thermocell works great for many flying critters but dressing properly takes care of chiggers and ticks. I had a few black flies flying around Saturday evening but didn't bother turning the Thermocell on. I don't think Kentucky would be worse than Georgia for bugs this time of year

Bug spray and deer hunting

Deer ticks are the main critter I seem to attract. I will go wth the Permanone. Thanks to you all
Bill Daniel

Therma-cell works great.

It has a pezio electric starter and sometimes takes a few extra clicks to getit going on a cold morning.

Hint, start it in the truck, the clicker is "loud".

Minimum of 500 MG of B-12 per day will keep 'em away.
Up here the mosquitoes feed on deer ticks. All those stories about flying caribou(reindeer) are really the mosquitoes carrying them off into the muskeg. snicker.

I will put my recommendation in for the Thermocell. Here in NC Mosquitoes can be hellacious in December. Thermocell works like a champ.

Thermocell 100%, they even have pads that smell just like dirt when it is lit. I just back from hunting in So Carolina and you can shoot and tag the skeeters down there, put that thermacell on and away they go..Would really work well in a ground blind I would think.

deer ticks

For protection against ticks, permanon or duranon is the way to go. As noted, treat your clothes, to include your socks, hat, I even spray up a neckerchief. Lay the clothes out or hang them, and spray them down and let it dry.

I've never treated my deer hunting clothes with permanon, but use the stuff religiously in turkey season, it's a must here in AL. Lyme disease is a real threat and will mess you up if undetected and not treated early. Nothing to fool with.

NH SHOOTER is correct, our skeeters are HUGE. I've heard rumors of them being nominated as a new alternative state bird.
Non-joking aside, thermacell does work great. I've heard old timers talk of diluted vanilla extract to keep them away.

Back