Buffalo Bore .44 +P+ for Deer/Elk

RickE

Can anyone report back after an actual kill when using the BB 340gr +P+ out of a handgun? Any/all details appreciated.

I would exorcise caution while shooting it. I've heard(but never confirmed) that buffalo bore, being designed more for rifles than handguns can cause serious issues with most revolvers, S&Ws in particulars. Ruger Black hawks are supposed to be ok with them but never heard anything about vaqueros.

standard 44 is good for deer but I would have serious doubts about it for elk unless you can poke it out your back door and shoot one in your yard.

I shoot BB's occasionally out of my S&W 629. They will not blow up your gun. The smith is not as strong as the Ruger so it will wear out much faster if heavy loads are used but a few every once in a while is no big deal. They would not sell them if they would cause a catastrophic failure. I have killed whitetail w/ the BB and it works just fine. Yea, I know, overkill for deer.

S&W makes Artistically Refined Guns. But they are not Ruger Strong.

BB Suicide Overloads are for Ruger Super black Hawks and Super Red Hawks Only.

They are designed to withstand a 200% overloaded cartridge.

S&W has slicker revolvers but they are NOT designed for anything more than factory Loads.

The Buffalo Bore +P+ .44 mag is some crazy insane power. Since a "regular" Buffalo Bore .44 mag will easily take an Elk, or anything else for that matter, it will work for sure. With a hard cast bullet and a large meplat, you are going to shoot through the Elk on a broadside and probably will go from stem to stern. Like Elmer Keith said, you want two holes.

You don't need +P+ to get the job done. All you'll do is beat your S&W and yourself mercilessly.
Keep it to short handgun range and you'll be fine with a more sensible load. Be prepared to pass up the trophy bull because he was too far for a reasonable handgun shot.

As for the guns that will sustain that kind of load, you're looking at the full size Blackhawk/Vaquero (NOT the SAA size New Model Vaquero), Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Freedom Arms revolvers, and the Contender/Encore platforms.

As for the Super Blackhawk mentioned above, it's fine too. After all, it's nothing more than a Blackhawk with a larger grip frame. The actual gun frame is the same as the non-Super Blackhawk.

So a number of members have reported back saying that +P+ is excessive or unwarranted. The OP also mentioned a 340gr bullet.

Is that also overkill? What would be the minimum or ideal weight to get the job done? (if this is not straying from the initial question too much :o)

In my opinion, yes. I think 300 gr bullet is plenty excessive enough for a 44 Mag. I have a load that drives a 300 gr boolit to 1401 fps and shooting it shows me that I really don't need it, or at least at 1400. The 245 gr bullet will do alot more than people give it credit for. At times I thnk even the 300s are in all practicality, unneeded. Just a little added insurance.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

Yes, that bullet weight is excessive. If you can punch a 240 grain bullet through something what difference will it make if you make the bullet longer with more weight?

Back