Buffalo Bill Cody museum

2wheelwander

I'd been through this about 30 years ago. Passed through half a dozen times since then. Had the joy of going again this past week. If you have never been, the firearms portion alone is worth the price of admission. It has been greatly expanded upon since then. I believe you get a two day pass when paying. You'll need it.

As a plus, they had a chuck wagon cooking over the fire with original cowboy recipes using the same brand coffee used back int he day. Fresh coffee, sourdough biscuits and beans over the fire. It was delicious!

Also, rodeo every Wednesday night down the road.

The firearm museum alone is a full day visit every time I go. My wife likes the art and exhibits in the other museums, but she knows where to find me.

I drove right by the place in July, but there was simply no way to fit it into our schedule. I doubt if I'll ever be in that part of the country again.

About when the wuflu hit, Cody was beginning the process of expanding their exhibits, so they could reduce the number of items in storage and increase the number on display.
Before the remodel, something like 82% of their collection was in storage.

So, for instance, even though they have the largest collection of Lee-Navy rifles in the world, with many one-off examples, they had to choose which one(s) to display. When you have the only factory-chambered 7x57mm Lee-Navy in the world, the only factory-installed Buffington sight Lee-Navy, the only factory..., the only..., the only..., and the only..., along with several variants of standard production models, but you can only display two of them, which do you choose? (BBCotW generally kept the 7x57 on display and one standard model, with the standard model rotating every few years.)

Now, they have the opposite ratio. Almost 80% of the collection is on display, rather than in storage - and most of the items in storage are there because they are duplicates, or because they are in need of repair to better show their unique attributes.

If you went there before the big remodel, you should go back. It is almost a completely different museum now.

Yup we go to Cody every October, then out to the Hideout Ranch in Shell WY. The firearms museum is like Mecca for gun people.

Thanks for the information about the Buffalo Bill Cody museum.

Thanks to Google and a little bit of help from Captain Obvious ("the museum is in Cody, Wyoming, Dale---720 Sheridan Ave, Cody, WY 82414, to be exact.") I found a wealth of information about the place.

https://centerofthewest.org/?utm_so...anic&utm_content=main_button&utm_campaign=gmb

Again thanks for posting.

P.S. I couldn't let the chuck wagon reference go without a reference to the Blazing Saddles "Beans" scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783muFuJ1w

Back