Budget Night Vision Scope

mxsailor803

Does anyone have any experience with a Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital NV scope? A guy I was shooting the breeze with one on FB earlier and mentioned it and sent me some pictures through the scope. They actually don't look to shabby even though he had to add a external IR. Mainly looking to use this as a budget hog hunting rifle scope for one of my .300BO (AR or RAR). Also, will the Burris PEPR scope mount put it at the right height for a AR flat top?

Okay, it is a long, polymer, budget NV scope that comes with its own IR emitter and could really use a boost from a T20 style IR light to really light up things. This is typical of digital NV technology right now, be it a Sightmark, Pulsar, or ATN. In open terrain, you might be able to do hogs at 200 yards with a good IR emitter.

The only other scope along these lines is the ATN X-Sight. It has a better picture, tends to eat batteries, and has been loaded with glitches since it was released, but ATN has made many improvements and the scope works much better now, but will never work as advertised, though may be quite functional.

Thanks. I was already planning to add a external IR anyways. Realistically, I might take a 125yd shot at night where we'll be hunting. Its one of those things I didn't want to spend more $1000 for a setup I'll use 3 or 4 times a year.

For that sort of situation, then the Photon is a fine scope for you. Your sort of situation is a great reason to have budget night optics.

I spent a lot of time hunting with Pulsar Digisight N550 and N750s and the Photon is really pretty comparable, but a lot less money. I found it a little wonky to zero, but once zero'd, did just fine. I only killed one hog with mine before passing it on to another hunter.

Back