Budget-Friendly Finds: Affordable handguns with Exceptional Value

liv4spd

Should we compile a list for beginners to showcase handguns with exceptional value? No discontinued models please.

Conceal carry:
- Smith Wesson M&P series: a little over $300
- CZ P10-C: a little over $300
- Ruger Security 9 for < $300
- Taurus G3C for ~$200

Hammer-fired full metal guns:
- CZ 75 compact, PCR, P-01 for a little over $500.

Revolvers:
- Ruger Wrangler for ~$200

Last edited:
The Rock Island Armory revolvers I have touched are low quality. Three of the last five that I've seen in different gun shops were not safe to shoot in my opinion.

I could advance the cylinder into lock up with my fingers after the hammer is cocked.
I think that means the gun is capable of discharging with misalignment between the barrel and cylinder.

Plenty of cheap out there!

SCCY, not a fan of the trigger but that darn thing has been 100% from the first long and spongy when is this thing going to fire pull of the trigger. 239 for a compact 9mm with optic that co-witness's is hard to beat. Accuracy is fine for what it is, I'd bring another gun for for than 7 yard shooting. I've decided to make a dedicated "truck" gun of it for the Tesla!
Further along the lines of good guns for short money is Tisas, I've had their GI version .45 for a couple years and a couple hundred rounds. Not a fan of the tiny GI sights, I may upgrade the sights or trade it in to a fancier .45 or maybe dress up what I have.

The Rock Island Armory revolvers I have touched are low quality. Three of the last five that I've seen in different gun shops were not safe to shoot in my opinion.

I could advance the cylinder into lock up with my fingers after the hammer is cocked.
I think that means the gun is capable of discharging with misalignment between the barrel and cylinder.
Thanks for the response. Rock Island revolvers have been removed from this list.

I don’t do plastic so No Comment. On subject of all metal auto the CZ at $500 bracket is a good durable and accurate pistol. What else is there? A collection of junk 1911 clones? You are going to have to shell out more money for anything equal to them. I don’t own one I have older Browning & Colts and I know you have to go to CZ to get equal quality.
The Ruger Wrangler is the better than a Rough Rider and I guess a good deal in that market. Again a Single-6 is over twice the cost of the Wrangler. Apples and oranges.

Two from Tisas; one 9mm Luger and one .380.

Tisas Zigana K: a 9mm Luger that feels very Sig P226 like but considerably less expensive.

attachment.php

Tisas Fatih: a Beretta like 380. Comfortable and relatively inexpensive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TISAS-FATIH-380-left.jpg
    TISAS-FATIH-380-left.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,982
The Ruger P95 is an option. Usually pretty cheap, plentiful mags, they hold up well and tend to be reliable.

DA triggers are stiff but generally not so bad as to make the gun unusable.

There's no longer any significant parts support from Ruger, but parts breakage isn't usually an issue with these pistols.

The TISA finish is one reason they are cheaper, but they are cheaper.

The IFG/Tanfogolios models typically are less expensive than comparable models by CZ, while they are very similar but different. Tanfogolios have some of the better featured guns while also being the cheapest (10mm for example).

The P series Sigs with factory STR probably have the best triggers of any normal priced gun. I haven't felt a trigger that resets faster than my stock Sig P226 Elite.

The CZ P10 does appear to have photos of a new frame coming, so the discount now is probably due to the model needing to be blown out of inventory.

Almost all "great" handguns fall in the 500 dollar range.

I would argue that Rough Rider is a better gun than the Ruger Wrangler. You can buy it with a WMR cylinder. And then you can buy another.

However, the Canik series and now unfortunately Tri-Star/Canik metal CZ rip off line have some of the better values. For example, I would think a Canik Walther rip off TP9SF would be a more enjoyable single action striker fire than say the S&W SVDE line.

Point is, they are all "bargains." However, there only a few that are just terrible.

I think any handgun from Diamondback is 100% do not buy.
I think there are some big questionable buys on the Taurus line.
I think there are cautions on the Turkey multiple manufacture lines

If buying new I've found Ruger's budget guns to be good values.

But where I live used Glocks are $400 everywhere. If you buy from an individual $350. That is still the most gun for the dollar and I'd have no concerns about buying a used one. You can return it to Glock and they will refurb the gun and replace any worn parts at no cost.

Recycled bullet said:

Either your experience is out of the ordinary, or mine is. I have owned three of them over the years, and still own two. While the finish isn't anywhere near a Colt Royal Blue, the guns are solidly made, reliable, shoot well, and have triggers that are much better than many more expensive DA revolvers. I know other owners whose experience mirrors mine.

Either your experience is out of the ordinary, or mine is. I have owned three of them over the years, and still own two. While the finish isn't anywhere near a Colt Royal Blue, the guns are solidly made, reliable, shoot well, and have triggers that are much better than many more expensive DA revolvers. I know other owners whose experience mirrors mine.
I like the finish (rough parkerizing/ or some rough phospate?), the grips (small and thin wood panels)and the triggers (smooth and easily staged) on all the rock island revolvers I have seen.

There is one sitting in the case at my LGS. If it's still there on Friday I'll ask the man if I may be permitted to inspect the gun mechanically.

I want to give the gun a chance.

My bucket of 38 special brass is teasing me about it. : )

more revolvers should be on this budget menu.

ruger super wrangler single action revolver: 22lr for fun, 22wmr for business. $250+. excellent educational tool for anyone, easy on wallet and wrist. excellent warranty.

taurus 85/605/856 double action revolver. if purchased new lifetime warranty. variously 38sp or 357mag. $300 if 2” snubby, more for ultra-versatile 3”.

My experience is the same as yours. I bought a RIA M200 a month ago to be used as a "truck gun" for my Jeep. The single action trigger feels every bit as good as my S&W. But, the double action, not so good but usable. I have around 200 rounds through it now, and for $229 plus tax out the door, it's hard to beat.

The Kahr C series of value pistols are cheap as new and cheaper used. Lots of people are selling their single stack CC guns for new micro double stacks. They are still very viable and reliable handguns.

The only thing I would say is there is a world full of lemons in the bottom price area of the market. A thread like this risks a message to new shooters to try something that will be hard to have success with.

I think you pointed to the S&W M&P is a solid gun, at about $450. Many of the $300 guns have an excessive defect rate.

That said, my TX22 has turned out great for under $350….not exactly cheap.

One I bought on a whim but really like and people I let shoot it really like it as well is the SAR Sar9. Right around the $300 mark

Back