Budget deer rifle

Sisco

I bought a $50 Turk Mauser and want to turn it into a budget sporter by deer season. Here's the plan, any suggestions would be appreciated. Leave it 8mm. Boyds has walnut stocks for $60, should help the looks. To avoid the costs of modifying the bolt handle & safety I'll mount an extended eye-relief scope on a B Square mount "scout rifle" style. Local 'smith will cut & crown the barrel to 23" or so. Now the questions are; who makes a reasonably priced extended eye relif scope that won't break the bank? Would a red-dot scope serve the same purpose?

As simple as re-working the bolt handle is, I'm not sure I quite follow your reasoning.

I'd not change stocks until that was the last thing to do. Just take a fine-toothed hacksaw to the front of the forearm...Sand down any rough or sharp edges and oil or wax it.

If you like the scout-type scope mount, and can get your scope mounted that way, fine. But you might compare the cost of such mounting and the long ER scope, vs. drilling and tapping for the standard mounting. Possibly, it might pay for the bolt-job.

A used Weaver K-4 is commonly a helluva bargain--and they're good scopes.

FWIW and grains of salt, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited April 25, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SK:
....Now the questions are; who makes a reasonably priced extended eye relif scope that won't break the bank?... [/quote]

My question about extended relief scopes is who makes one with a field of view suitable for deer sized game? It seems long relief and FOV are mutually exclusive.

Tom Pa

The way I understand the theory behind the scout concept is that if properly set up you can use the scope with both eyes open giving an almost unlimited field of view.

Lawson's in Tucson will forge the bolt handle for $65 bucks according to their 1995 brochure. I'm sure you can find a gunsmith in your area to do that for roughly the same price. The price for drilling and tapping, installing scope and collimating with a top mount is $40. (Of course, scope and mounts are extra) I forget what I paid for my last set of Weaver bases and rings, but it wasn't that much. Simmons and Tasco have some low priced scopes, and I've had fairly good luck with both. I'm not too fond of the latest tasco's made in China though, but I would look at the lower and mid priced Simmons.
I've heard good things about the new Weavers brought in from Japan, but don't have any experience with them.
You can make a pretty nice looking stock, using the military stock. I had a 30-06 Mauser that had been finished off this way. It looked almost like a pre-WW-2 Mauser sporter, which are rifles I happen to like the looks of.
Fact is, I have a 1909 Argentine Mauser military in .308 I plan on doing just that to.
Check around and see if there is a smith that will work with you. The scout mount and scope will probably be close to $300 and maybe more. Believe me. I've gone whole hog on building up military Mausers and it can get real expensive, real fast. Then they are so pretty, you don't dare take them on serious hunts. If you want to go synthetic, Ramline stocks are pretty good for the price. I tried one Butler Creek, but had to do a lot of alteration on what was supposed to be a drop in stock. Don't look bad though.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Paul B.

A good choice to leave it in 7.92x57js if you dont reload and want the best performance use European ammo (S&B is good and cheap) as most american ammo is loaded with a .320 bullet and under powered so as to not blow up older 7.92x57j guns ( and yes I know it is really I and IS but the boxes usually have a j or J)

as for the scope if you are getting close shots might try a red dot scope and scout mount.

Back