Budget buckshot in 12ga

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I found two brands of 00 buckshot at about 30 cents/round. One is S&B (12 pellets, unplated, slightly longer than standard 2 3/4") which is also reputed to have a stout recoil. The other is Estate brand which comes in 8 (1400fps) and 9 (1200fps) configurations, plated shot. I assume it is of normal length and would likely pattern better. Has anyone used Estate buck (or both Estate and S&B) and could comment on their performance in pump and auto shotguns, relative patterns, recoil level, etc.

I found little in the archives or on Usenet.

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Oleg, no direct experience with either....

A 12 pellet load will let you know if your form's not good,quick.Except for the "Expert" and recoil tolerant, I'd go with the 8 and 9 pellet loads.

Remember," You get what you pay for" is not a universal rule, but comes closer than we admit.

Considering the range of prices on similar goods (Fiocchi 9mm at $7 vs. PMC at $10, the latter not being as good) or the personal preference (cheap Buckmark over expensive S&W), I am willing to try cheap. I ask the questions because TASTAAFL is usually true.

Oleg - I've had excellent luck with the S&B, and I really don't think the recoil is that bad.

Mark Penman has some testing including S&B at: http://hometown.aol.com/laissezfirearm/myhomepage/buckshot.htm. It held it's own with the more expensive brands.

If you plan on using it as a defense load, keep in mind you get one less in the tube (eight round tube = who cares, four round tube = hmmmm... maybe not).

I love it for use on a sidesaddle. Being clear and a bit longer you can easily differentiate between your slugs and buckshot for reloads.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited August 30, 2000).]

What kind of crimp does the Estate have? The S&B has a plastic disk with a roll crimp. This can cause a donut-shaped pattern, since that disk is still in front of the shot when it clears the muzzle.

Recoil is attention-getting, but the only other buck I've compared it to is Federal's "tactical" ;) . The S&B is certainly adequate for practice, and after a day with it, you'll be grateful for the Federal.

Everything else equal, the star crimp should be better for your pattern than the disk, for the reason I stated (there will be nothing in front of the shot from a star-crimped load). You'll have to try both to be sure, of course. The plated shot may work better, too, if for no other reason than to reduce bore leading.

By the way, where did you find Estate for the same price as S&B?

Patterns out of my Mossy 20" with S&B are unexceptably large. But I'm not really excited about the patterns with it using any load, including birdshot. The recoil is mild though. I'm noticing as my arthritis gets worse I have became more recoil sensitive. The S&B are not bad at all.
I've never tried Estate brand to compare the two.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Back