Budget bolt-action .22lr

I am looking to get my first rifle and decided that a .22lr bolt-action rifle would be a good choice. However, I'm not sure exactly which to go with. I want to spend around $200 (not more than $230). Any suggestions?

I am looking to get my first rifle and decided that a .22lr bolt-action rifle would be a good choice. However, I'm not sure exactly which to go with. I want to spend around $200 (not more than $230). Any suggestions?

Most say you can't go wrong with a CZ, a Savage, and it seems to me the new Marlin XT-22 rifles are a good bargain now.

If you're willing to go used, a Marlin 25n can be found for cheap where used guns are sold. I have a 25n that shoots 1/2-1/4" groups at 50 yards.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

FiveInADime + 1

Halo
Meeting your requirements and excluding used guns, I'd have to agree with this reply. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
The best deal I ever got on a good solid accurate bolt action .22 was a $200 Charles Daly Zastava import. It is the one and only remaining rimfire rifle I use for silhouette shooting.

Welcome to the forum ! I have heard good things about the new Savage rifles, but I will have to agree with the previous post about the Marlin 25N, mine will almost shoot as good as my Mossberg 144 target rifle! They have not been made in years, but there are a bunch of them floating around. CZ's are great, but past your $200 budget. I think your very smart to pick a bolt action .22 for a first gun, good luck on your hunt !

Used Marlins, perhaps found at gun shows, shops, pawn shops, etc. can be a good low cost option. In my case, I had a cheap bolt action Marlin that would shoot single ragged holes at 40 and 60 yards using CCI Standard Velocity. However, the groups opened up too much for me at 80 and 100 yards. So if you are looking for a ballpark 50 yard gun for target or small game, I'm certain you can find a good rifle at not much cost. It does pay to try a good assortment of ammo brands to see which gives you the desired results.

I picked up a savage markII last year. It is my best shooting 22 of the 5 that I own. Got it for $100 used. It is now my favorite 22.

Savage MKII is always the answer to "budget friendly bolt .22lr".
CZ's are technically "better" guns, but don't come in the variety and can be double (or more) the price.

Are you looking for iron-sights, bull-barrel, ring-mounts, wood stock, target gun?

I've recommended this gun to many of my friends:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/24563/Savage+28700+MKIIFV+22LR+AT+HB

You can also do it without the bull barrel and with iron sights:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/.../products_id/24445/Savage+26700+MKIIF+22LR+AT

You can go crazy and get one with a rail and threaded barrel:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ts_id/71899/Savage+MKIIFVSR+22LR+THREADED+BBL

Or for way over your budget, you can get the sexiest .22lr on the market:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2_975/products_id/43580/Savage+MKII-BTVS+22LR

Got this one for under $10 -

Jackatage6WhitmanNE.jpg

But - that was in 1932 - ;)

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll be going with a savage mark II (was between that and the Marlin XT-22). I'm new to firearms so I am having difficulty deciding between the various models of the mark II. For example, what's the difference between the F and FV? On the savage site, it mentions that the F is "drilled and tapped for scope mounts, open sights" while the FV has "none." What does this mean? Is a scope _required_ for the FV since there are no sights on it? Can it accept a scope as well? Sorry for the amateur questions...

Also, while I'm on the subject of scopes, which would be a good budget scope to add? I'd want to spend around $50. It would be primarily for range shooting with the possibility of small game hunting in the future.

Thanks all!

Well, I think it's hard to go wrong - every gunner should have at least one 22 rifle - BL22 is some more pricey but - well worth the money and lasts forever -

ABL222.jpg

FiveInADime gives good advice. I have a 1970s vintage Glenfield (Marlin) 25N and it shoots like a champ. You would do well with a Savage, Marlin or CZ.

A 4-H kid I know,,,

A 4-H kid I know is using a Mossberg 802 Plinkster,,,
It sells for around $150-$175 at most.

He's holding his own against any of the other kids.

I've fired it and the dang little thing feels and shoot very nicely.

Aarond

Back