Budget .308 help

newguy07

I am looking to buy a bolt rifle to use for target shooting out to 600 yards and to use in my ranges varmint target shoots out to 300 yards. There is also the possibility of taking this gun on an elk or moose hunt at some point in the future. I don't know a ton about rifle calibers but thought a .308 would fit the bill. My first question is does a .308 sound like a good choice?

My second question is recommendations for a budget rifle (.308). I am considering the mossberg 100atr, the marlin x7, or one of the savage rifles with an accutrigger. I would like to stay under 500$ tops so that unfortunately rules out the Remington 700. So which of these (or something not mentioned) would you recommend? If recommending the savage I need a specific model because they had way too many listed on their website in 308 for me to keep straight.

Used to own a Mossberg A100 (or was it 100A :confused:)

Wish I still had it - I'd bet you could find a nice used one for very little cheddar.

In my opinion 308 is probably the best general purpose cartridge you can get. Lots of loads and data out there. Doesn't do anything perfect but does everything well.

As for a rifle I'm a savage fan personally. In fact I prefer a savage 10 to a rem 700 any day of the week. I think any of them in 308 would do. If you have a preference for blind mag, detachable, stock material etc then maybe I can narrow down a model. Even the ones without the accutrigger shoot great. I have had a couple savages without the accutrigger and could still manage to shoot sub moa groups with federal power shok ammo with the "crummy savage trigger"

If you are really wanting a 700, shop around a bit. I picked up a lightly used700 SPS .308 (sporter barrel) with Leupold VX-1 3X9, and Harris bipod a month ago for $450.00 in a pawn shop. The trigger hadn't even been adjusted before I bought it.

Budget rifle.

Back in August of last year Shooting Times had an article on just this subject which included the Marlin X7, Mossberg 100 ATR, Remington 770, Savage Axis, Thompson/Center Venture, and the Weatherby Vanguard. All of these were $400 to $500 rifles.

I myself have a Mossberg 100ATR in 30-06 which is very accurate with my hand loads. The adjustable trigger is one of the best I have ever used.

Good luck in your quest.

Is used an option? I've seen used Savages in .308 for ~$300 (w/o scope). That leaves a little room in the budget for a scope.

Used is always an option...
You need to know what you're looking at, tho...
The adavantage with a Savage is that you can re-barrel, yourself...
I bought a used Savage mountain rifle with the intent of re-barreling for long range target. Price was right at less than $300...
Turns out the rifle shoots lights out, so I've put off re-barreling for the time being.
But, if you buy at the right price so you can't be burned, you can find deals.

I know in my area, the pawn shops are loaded. Guys are dumping to put food on the table and pay the bills...

Lots of threads on the subject, and opinions.
My choices would be Savage, Rem 700, and Howa 1500 in that order...

I always see people wanting a rifle for varmints, targets, and big game. The problem is this, if you shoot a yote with anything bigger than a .243 it is not worth $1 due to pelt damage.
The .243 is a great long range target rifle out to 800-1000 yards. It is a great varmint rifle for yotes. The .308 is a great target rifle out to 800-1000 yards. The .308 is NOT a varmint rifle.
The .243 is a good rifle for deer and possibly elk under 300yds. the .308 is a good deer and elk rifle out to 600 yards. They will not do it all.
The best calibers for your do it all needs is the 6.5x55, or the .260rem. The reason is the high BC 140gr bullets for larger game and the 95gr Vmax for varmints. They are still not perfect but closer to what you want to do.
As for rifles, I am a Savage fan because they build the best out of the box accurate rifles for the money.

Mnhntr. When I say varmint shoots I am referring to steel target varmint and paper varmint bench shoots at the range. For actually varmint hunting I'll use my .223 most likely. I need to be able to shoot targets out to 600-800 and have something for elk/moose hunt. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Right now I'm leaning most towards the savage 11 trophy hunter xp. Comes packaged with a 3-9x40 Nikon scope and I can get it for 490 out the door. Any thoughts?

Can't beat the price....
You can always sell the glass and upgrade for long range (as well as the stock).

Keep in mind, the "XP" package model does not include the AccuTrigger or AccuStock.

Personally, I would cough up the extra dough if you can, and get the non-package 11 Hunter with the AccuStock and AccuTrigger. For long range, the non-AccuTrigger will not be suitable. Get glass suitable for long range...

But, if budget doesn't allow, you can always upgrade later. Just gonna cost you more...

My son shoots his .308 11 Hunter (in a Choate tactical stock) long range (600-1000), factory barrel and all...

Last edited:
Good choice, I thought you meant yotes and Pdogs. If you want a flat shooter I still would look at the 6.5mm calibers like the .260rem, 6.5CM, and 6.5x55. If you do not reload I would stay with the .308.

Is the $500 just for the rifle alone? To shoot out at 600 well you will need quality rings, bases and a better than entry level scope. If you are serious about your shooting, then shop around and get good quality components. I did a budget precision rifle build a few years back. I bought a NIB Remington SPS for $524 out the door. I added a B&C Medalist A3 stock, EGW 20 MOA base, TPS rings, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope, Harris bipod, Butler Creek caps, and an ACD. Total cost was a little above $1100. Best group so far was .162" 3 shot at 100. It is a very capable rifle. My point is , if you want a rock solid performer, you're going to have to drop some coin into it. If you simply want to plink out from 300-600, then any of the rifles mentioned will do an adequate job. BTW my lightly used,comprably equipped Savage 10 FCP shoots very well and total cost was about $100 less.(I didn't replace the Choate stock it came in) but it has yet to best the 700.( .38" best at 100) .308 is a good choice for what you are going to do. Whatever you choose, go out there and have fun doing it.

Back