Bucmark modifications?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Took my mother to the range for a refresher on her Buckmark. Learns half-Weaver stance. About 150 rounds later she has decent 15ft target and knows how to clear duds. Saves her target.

Good news: the gun is reliable. Golden Bullet HPs work fine. We try out CCI MiniMag +V and those feed fine. Judging by the report, they go supersonic out of the 5.5" barrel so she loads them up for home.

Now for the questions: the 5.5" slabside barrel is heavy. Can a plain light round barrel be substituted? Plastic grips with target thumbrests are too bulky for her hands: can smooth wooden grips be substituted and are they actually thinner?

Or should we just get a Micro Challenge model (I think that's what it is) and be done with it?

Brownell's has the lightweight barrels for your Buckmark. They carry ALL of the barrel contours used by the factory, as well as grips, and replacement parts. Not cheap, though. Here's their URL:

http://www.brownells.com

Removing and replacing the barrel on the Buckmark is easy, you just need to remove the upper sight rib screw, and the lower frame/barrel screw, and you're all set.

As stated, the parts cost is all but prohibitive.

I'd try selling the standard BuckMark and buying the Challenge Micro model... or trade, tho' you rarely get the good end of that. :)

Good luck.

My Micro was the 4" slab-sided barrel. IIRC, when the 'Camper' came out, I ordered the 5" bull barrel from Browning for $98. I don't know if that is any more than what the smaller barrel would cost. I cannot vouch for the grips, but you'd be amazed what you can do by careful application of a belt sander.:)

If you do buy the barrel, make SURE you have an exact fitting 'gunsmith' screwdriver blade. They are simply hollow-ground, rather that wedge shaped. You must use a good deal of muscle to break the lock screw free at the front of the trigger guard. It's very easy to slip and mar the finish if you are not careful.

Oleg,

Ajax grips makes target thumbrest stocks, smooth hardwood and checkerd hardwood stocks for the Buckmark. Prices start at $35 and go up..

Mark / FL

O V: I have a Buckmark Challenge Micro 4" and am pleased with it so far. I haven't done serious accuracy testing with different ammo, but have gotten sub 1" groups at 12 yards. No malfunctions. It's a very light, handy pistol, and the grip is noticeably slimmer. It seems like a real value; I paid $260 for mine.
Good Shooting, CoyDog

Back