BuckMark Accuracy

abrahamsmith

There have been many posts recently about 22 pistols and 22 accuracy. Here are some groups I made while sighting in my new BuckMark Plus (5.5 bbl) about a hundred rounds after getting it.

All are at about 25 yards, maybe slightly less. Shooting from a sand-bag in cold and windless weather. This is my first pistol, so, despite the sandbag, the majority of error is probably mine.

The images aren't quite to scale, but you all know how big a 75 foot target is, I bet.

Conclusion: CCI MiniMag Sihouette's are bad. CCI Minimag FMJ's are nice. Stingers are excellant.

http://euclid.dsl.wisc.edu/~abe/pics/Arms/target-0001-sm.jpg

http://euclid.dsl.wisc.edu/~abe/pics/Arms/target-0002-sm.jpg

Hmmmm. Stingers VERY good. I'm impressed. You must be very happy with that pistol.

A few weeks ago, I saw someone at the range making very small groups offhand at 15 yards. Went to ask what he was using. It was a new Buckmark with bull barrel. It was the 2nd time he had shot it. I was impressed then, too. Especially since he paid $225 for it.

CCI Minimag FMJ's are nice.

Just FYI: there is no "full metal jacket" ammunition in .22 Long Rifle. The .22 LR ammo without any exposed lead has a copper wash, not a true jacket.

BTW, nice shooting!

Matt VDW: "Just FYI: there is no "full metal jacket" ammunition in .22 Long Rifle. The .22 LR ammo without any exposed lead has a copper wash, not a true jacket. "

Yeah, I know, but it seems the most appropriate term. CCI Calls it "22LR Mini-Mag HS." Part Number 0030.

Accurate RF pistol ammo

Seems as if every .22 rimfire arm is a law unto itself as far as choice of loads goes.

While you're experimenting, spend a little extra money and buy a real assortment of ammo and try 'em all. Clean between groups. Not extensively, just a brush with solvent, then two or three dry patches.

I suggest some CCI match, some Federal Match and Gold Match, and Remington Pistol Match ammo. This latter used to be called simply, Standard Velocity .22 LR. Then, if you want to really splurge, find a place that sells Ely Tenex ammo.

After doing a lot of experimentation with my son's six-inch Buckmark and mine in four-and-a-half inch, we found that Federal bulk pack .22 LR HP serves us just fine. Difference between this and the really expensive ammo is only fractions of an inch, and we do a LOT more plinking than target shooting. This comes in a sturdy carton containing 550 rounds, loose, and sell at local Wal Mart for well under ten bucks. The bullets are copper washed and are hollow points. They are called high velocity, but are not considered ultra high speed or hyper velocity.

The Russian .22 ammo with dark-lacquered cases is very dirty and noticibly less accurate than most U.S. ammo.

Best,
Johnny

Back