Buck Mark Slide fails to lock back

Waitone

I have a Buck Mark 22LR which I feed approximately 400 rounds per week in two sessions. Two problems: first, the front sight mount screw looses 3/4 turn per 50 rounds, irritating but solvable. The other problem is more interesting. The slide will fail to lock back about 60% of the time after the mag runs dry. Symptom is the same with a new mag or a well worn mag. I clean the gun to the field strip level after 1200-1500 rounds.

What am I missing? Do I need a detailed cleaning? Is the loose sight plate related? The rate of lock back is no different with the sight plate screw tight or loose.

------------------
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater--1964

Waitone, apply some locktite like you are already considering and the screw won't come loose. I think the problem with the slide is either you are using ammo that is just on the line of the pressure needed to fully cycle the pistol or you are relaxing your grip. George

Check the left front corner of the slide, where the slide stop bears on it. Look for any indication of rounding or burring. Apparently some slides were a little soft and loose their square corner over time. Any rounding will let the slide stop slip and not hold the slide back. Careful work with a file will square it up.

------------------

Back