Buck "Hunter" knife

adad

Anyone have or used the Buck "Hunter" folding knife? It has two blades - one is a regular blade for skinning, cutting, etc. and one is a bone saw with a gut hook. Just wondering what you guys think of it. Not sure a bone saw that small would be much good on deer - even the small black tail we've got around here.

Thanks

Buck knives are well made of good steel and do a fine job. A Bucklite rides on my belt evern as I type. My best buddy got an early Xmas present from me, a Crosslock that he calls the best dressing knife he ever had, and with over 100 deer to his credit, he should know good knives.
I see short saws on knives as of limited use, but lots of folks do lots of pelvic bone splitting with them. For light use it should work fine...

That Pelvic Bone

It's always a bit of a startlement when a serious pull with a sharp knife won't split the pelvic bone. Using a rock for a hammer on the back of the blade of a good knife just isn't an attractive proposition, either. Careful sawing will weaken the bone and make a clean gutting-out much easier...I've used my Swiss Army pocket knife for this, more than once.

:), Art

Sorry to meander off the point of Buck knives..... we carry sierra foldind saws on our hunting trips. My pa's is about a foot long folded, has a wood handle, and a very good blade. The blade locks back in place and is perfect for ribcage, pelvic, and when you need to quarter it to pack it out. It's also handy to have a saw hunting for just about anything. You wanna cut you a walking stick to get through a marsh, and don't wanna dull your skinning knife on wood? you have a fairly stout limb that's fallen across your trail? need to make a travois to pack game? We use our saw's a bunch, and they're really handy. Mine is about 8 inches folded and has a high-impact plastic handle, it also locks back and weighs less than my 4" buckknife, with the brass sides, and wooden handle. Whenever I'm huntin, from grouse/rabbits, to varmints and moose, I always have the saw, and the knife, on my .22 belt.

Yes, I have one of those. This last year was my first year hunting since I was a teenager and I really didn't have any need on the two hunting trips I made this season to use it. But a larger saw like that, of the folding variety, seems to be a much better alternative that that little saw blade on the buck hunter knife.

Thanks for all the replies. Any other feedback appreciated.

I own several Buck knives and have never been disappointed in any of them. I always carry a folding Bucklite with me when hunting, but I rely on it mainly as a backup. When deer hunting, I use a Browning 3-bladed folder that has a saw blade. I rouinely use the small saw blade to make the initial cut through the pelvic bone, then follow up with one of the other blades.

This past November, I even used the little saw to quarter up my daughter's buck. We had forgotten some of our gear and had to make do with what we had. It took some doing to get through the backbone with that 2-3/4" saw, but we made it! I was really glad that day that I had that particular knife with me!

By the way, no special preference for the Browning over the Buck, it just happens to be what I have (and have had for years).

I got a Buck knife for Christmas last year. It was nice to
see in their literature that came with the knife that they
are a company that openly declares their Christianity.

I have never seen a need to split the pelvic bone on a
deer and I have bagged many a deer. I use a folding
Craftsman knife that I have had for many years that is
similar to the Buck folding knife. It may even be made
by Buck for Sears. Not sure about that though.

I, too, like the way they expressed their faith in God openly. Very refreshing to see, especially in such a successful company.

I ordered one of their folding knives - single blade; it has a Titanium coating that's supposed to make for a very hard blade that holds an edge a long time. I'm looking forward to trying it out on some squirrels soon.

I've owned and used a Buck Hunter (the old Model 110) for more than 30 years - ever since my father gave it to me when I first started hunting. I just "retired" it from the field this season, when I graduated to a Beretta "Airweight" locking folder to save a bit of weight on my tired old feet!

They are indeed great knives - mine has survived years of abuse and hard use. I did bend the locking catch a bit when, in a bad situation one very cold night, I used the knife to split firewood (!!) in order to get a fire going in an otherwise unheated cabin.

As for the saw, I bought a Gerber folding saw a few years back for $10 from WalMart. It has a synthetic, flat handle and it fits in my buttpack or jacket pocket. I have found that saw to be 100 times more useful than a hatchet or sheath knife, whether it's building fires or quartering deer. I think every hunter or outdoorsman should have a folding saw.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Back