brush or jag

Both

In the shop, I use a brush and patched jag with 50/50 ballistol. At the range, I use a I prefer a spit unlubricated patch. After my last round, I give all residue surfaces, a mice coat of the 50/50. There are times when I use mineral spirits. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Jag with a can of water.

I don't throw away the patches now. I even teach my students to keep old patches for char cloth. Cheapness spreads.

If I run a brush down the bore it gets stuck and I have to twist it to get it out. I have also had a jag with clean patch get stuck and I had to pour a little bore cleaner down the barrel to get it out. What am I doing wrong ?
What is your process for using only mops ?

What is your process for using only mops ?

rebs,
I may step on a few toes here but don't mind when it gets into the area of safety. "Some" BuckSkinners and Mustache Petes have a bad habit of blowing down a barrel between shots. It's a way to check if the vent is clear. It also puts moisture from you breath, that helps to keep the fouling moist and loose. There is a better and safer way. The mop has a lot of give to it and when moistened it will clean the bore and capture most of the residue/fouling. They are easier to work with but get dirtier each time you use it. That is why I use a spit cleaning patch between ever "few" shots. The bore will let you know what it needs. .. :rolleyes:

A good technique is to never let "anything" get stuck. I seldom use a brush or mop, in the field. I do my deep cleaning, in the shop. Last weekend we had a class and the SideLock that was used, was shot 50+ times. Took two days for me to get around to cleaning and the coating of 50/50 Ballitol killed the effects of the powder residue. That is when I first use a bronze brush and patches. ....... :)

Keep after this problem and it will turn around and come your way. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

You can wash a mop lol. I take the barrel off and stick the breech in a bucket of water. Water will be pulled up through the bore on each upstroke and expelled through the nipple with a little force. Once no more fouling is coming out I switch to a dry mop and make a few passes with it. Then take a third mop with lube on it and run it down and a mop will get into a patent breech. I've been doing it this way for years and never had any rust and a mop won't get stuck like a brush or a jag. I got a jag stuck once and had to put the end of the rod in a vice and pull the rifle off of it. Thankfully the tip was pinned not just glued or I'd have been shooting it out.

What type of brush are you guys using?

For blackpowder, I would only use a nylon brush. Bronze brushes should not be pushed/pulled as it destroys the flexibility of the brush. One way in, other way out. You can't do that with muzzle loaders. That's why I would use nylon if I were to use a brush.

Back