Browning vs. CZ

tailchain

I am selling my Ruger M-77 RSI in .243 for something with a longer barrel to get more velocity out of this cartridge. I have been contemplating either a Browning X-Bolt White Gold or a CZ 550 American. Both have different features that are attractive. The Browning is stainless with a 22" barrel and is very nice looking. The CZ if blued with 23.6" barrel and that really nice set trigger. I am having a hard time deciding. I know the Browning is quite a bit more expensive but that is really not an object. How about some advice opinions along those lines from you guys?

I have had a C 550 in .270 for about 9 years. These rifles are in the old school tradition, built on a modified Mauser action.

It is very accurate and the bluing is very well done. The stock isn't fancy but is good quality Turkish walnut underneath the finish. Mine will shoot well under an inch at 100 yds with several types of factory ammo. CZ spends quite a bit of effort on their barrels and it shows...at least in mine.

The trigger is also user adjustable.

My only complaints are:

-The trigger is thin in width as opposed to the wide trigger on a Rem 700

- Because of the bolt throw and stock design (comb), I cannot get down on the stock as well as I like and still see through the scope. IMO a Monte Carlo cheek would be better

Still, I have no plans to replace it with anything else...that's how much I like it!

I am selling my Ruger M-77 RSI

You're going to hate yourself for doing this someday...:eek:

But to answer your question, though I like the Browning rifle well enough (don't care for the "swoopy" lines on their new stock, however), I think it's awfully hard to beat the value inherent in the CZ rifle: Proven Mauser design, accurate, well-made and finished (if not quite a Browning on this score), "classic" stock configuration, reliable and accurate (at least the couple I've shot were). I do hate the "backwards" safety though.

I guess I could be wrong about this but I seem to recall that (at least some) CZ rifles came equipped with a safety that is moved to the rear for "fire" and forward for "safe"; the opposite of the direction most rifles work. If I am wrong about this, I'm sure someone (hopefully) will come along shortly to correct me. :o

Okay...just FYI, mine has a 2 position that moves forward to fire. On safe also locks the bolt.

As to moving forward, which way do Remington, Ruger, Winchester or Browning move?

As to moving forward, which way do Remington, Ruger, Winchester or Browning move?

All: forward to fire; rearward for on safe. Some rifles lock the bolt when on safe (I know the original Ruger 77s did); a configuration I much prefer personally. On Remington Model 700s, since the early eighties I believe, the bolt is not locked when on safe. Most, if not all, Winchester Model 70s, along with the Savage Model 110 and its variants and the later Ruger MKIIs, come with three-position safeties, the best of all worlds, in my estimation.

I think it's only their rim-fires that have the backwards safety.

Thanks, DAP90. The rimfire iterations are apparently the CZ rifles that I was remembering when I referenced the "backwards" safety.

Last edited:
My 550 is my only hunting rifle, so whatever direction it moved wouldn't likely present a problem for me. Also, I have not noticed any problems when switching from my AR (lever) to shotgun (button) to my hunting rifle.

Back