Browning Tbolt reviews what do you guys think about it.

I like the rifle a lot but never much cared for the .17 cal. Personally, I prefer the .22 Magnum to the 17hmr.

My 1966 T Bolt II is a great rimfire but not what you are interested in. Recommend you ask about the late model on Rimfire Central -- plenty of experts on the rifle over there.

.02. David. :)

Bn12gg has a good suggestion. Rimfire central is a bit more specialized and you'll likely find more specific information on the T-bolt there. However, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here (and I'm not one of them).

I just bought a .22 LR T-bolt with the maple stock, about 2 months ago. I used warne steel bases, leupold steel rings, and a leupold 2-7X rimfire scope to equip it. It's a beautiful set-up.

What I don't like: The cheapie, thin plastic trigger guard. It seem out of place for a rifle in this quality and price range. Some guys complain about the plastic, helix magazine, but I have no problems with it, and it works fine. All in all, I like the rifle.

I looks pretty. My biggest question is how accurate is it? My whole thing with looking at it is I want a quality rifle that's extremely accurate. I want the 17 hmr because I want something that shoots flat 0-100 yards and I would probably equip it with a 3x9. Basically I want something that I can make long shots on squirrels with. My 597 in 22lr with a 4 power scope just want don't it.

@coyote: I purposely refrained from commenting on accuracy because I haven't shot my T-bolt enough to know. From what I've seen or heard, the T-bolt accuracy ranges from very good to...well, good enough for hunting but you won't win any matches. Accuracy can vary from rifle to rifle within brands, but still, I think your best odds for getting a tack driver out of the box (if that's what you want), would be either a CZ or savage, with me leaning toward the CZ.

You're a more experienced squirrel hunter than I am, but for me, the lowly .22 LR worked fine for shooting a squirrel out of a tree. I would have to wonder if a .17 HMR might be too destructive. With a .22 WMR for squirrel, I would lean toward a solid point, rather than a hollow point or a plastic tip expanding bullet.

I would say it would probably depend on what kind of ammo you use I know they make hollow points for the 17 not sure if they make fmj or not. But if you can make head shots %100 of the time it doesn't matter. I do have minimal experience using the 22 wmr on squirrels. Let me just say when you hit a squirrel in the head with a Remington 33 gr polymer tip bullet it's not pretty.

Mixed feelings. Not a owner, just looked at them a while back.

Pro.

Miruko quality, fit and finish
Light and slender, even the varmint is relatively light
Nice grade wood on the wood stock guns
Over all very good looks
I like the action.

Con.

Price little high, but the value is there, except for the following
Plastic bottom metal really ruins the wood version gun for me
Magazine very expensive and complicated. Boarder line stupid magazine
I dont mind, but action can pop open with slightest pressure
I heard some complaints about triggers and looking for after market?

On balance, I like the old ones better. What else is new?

I also prefer the 22mg for versatility and ammo types and ease of cleaning.

Last edited:
Back