Browning T-bolt: Ground-hog Gun

sharpie443

I own a lot of .22lr firearms a few were inherited and a lot more were purchased. I can’t seem to walk away from a gun show without a .22lr in hand. One of the rifles I inherited is an old model browning T-bolt. I never had much use for it as it didn’t perform as well as some of my bolt actions off the bench and my normal hunting .22lr is my Mossberg 46m. It always just seemed like an odd little rifle with a very fast action. So it spent a lot of time in the gun safe guarding dust bunnies.

That is until I needed a scoped .22 to kill groundhog in my garden. I prefer peep sights so the browning was the only one I had a scope on. So it got dragged out of the safe and I did a video on it telling why I didn’t much care for it when I sighted it in. Now after a summer of killing groundhogs with it my opinion has changed a bit. The gun really comes into its own when you use it off hand. Off the bench there are far better options but when it comes to speed and accuracy you would be hard pressed to find something better. I still love my bolt actions but the T-bolt will be my designated garden gun from now on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBYZ5U16cw

yes and they made some improvements that i like. The one i have in the video is the older model. The new one has a far better safety that sits right behind the bolt and is thumb operated. The old model has an absolutely horrible that is very difficult to operate and is in just a dumb spot. They also got rid of the 5 round straight mag and put in a 10 round mag. Which is kid of nice.

Make sure yours does not have one of the infamous Browning salt stocks. Mine did, and starting rusting the action only AFTER I bought it. Currently debating stripping and finishing the old stock versus getting a new one.

Ya mine dose have one of those stocks. I don't know how they F-ed that up so bad but There are two spots thankfully out of sight that have a bit of pitting now. I take the stock off every once in a while and oil it. I also sealed the stock where it contacts the rifle and that seems to have reduced the problem.

Great video!

I bought a T-bolt last winter at a pawn shop. It was one of the "salt rifles" - and on the underside, it has some pitting but nothing that hurts and you can't see if when it's in the stock. I bought a replacement walnut stock for it and it is awaiting it's "re-birth". I'm going to scope mine and it too, will be pretty much delegated to "ground hog duty".

Enjoyed the video - thanks for sharing! :)

I scoped my Belgian T-Bolt Deluxe, for much better accuracy - but kept the peep sight in case it ever goes down the road.

dscn0754pz.jpg

Back