Browning Rifle Caliber Opinions !

TOP GUN

Hi..

I'm thinking about buying a Browning A-Bolt Rifle.

I'll be using it for plinking and someday maybe for hunting (deer).

Since I have no experience with rifles (only handguns), I'd like your opinions. I'm thinking about a 223, because it's not a cannon and the ammo is plentiful and inexpensive.

I've handled quite a few of this type of rifle and the Browning seemed to be of far better quality for this price range ($600).

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Browning A-Bolt Composite Stock, the .223 caliber and anywhere that has great deals on them !

Also, is the BOSS thing really worth it ?

Thanks !

TOP GUN

[This message has been edited by TOP GUN (edited January 10, 2000).]

Top Gun,

The Browning A-bolt is an excellent rifle. The BOSS has a lot of science behind it, but a lot of old shooters don't have much regard for it because they get their rifles to shoot well without it.

Now a lot of us think that's part of the fun, but if you don't want to reload and tinker then get an A-bolt with BOSS. Then find the ammo you like and you can probably tune the barrel up to the ammo. Backasswards from tradition, but if it's your cup o'tea, then ... go for it.

About the .223 Remington for whitetail ... well, your profile doesn't say what part of the country you're in, but here in Georgia, it's legal. However, it's frowned on because the .223 absolutely requires exact shot placement, in my humble opinion.

A clean kill is an obligation we have as sportsmen (and women). Not trying to preach. There may very well be some different opinions on this posted behind me, but I recommend against the .223 for deer.

Regards and Good Luck.

Sensop

Then what would be the minimum caliber that isn't expensive or cannon-like that I COULD use ?

Thanks ! I appreciate your opinions !

TOP GUN

In most states the .223 is not legal for deer hunting, and rightly so in my opinion. It's just too light. The .243 is an excellent deer round and at reasonable distances will put down any deer. It has little or no recoil so it isn't punishing to shoot all day.

[This message has been edited by muleshoe (edited January 11, 2000).]

TOPGUN,

Your rifle choice is excellent I own many brownings including the ones you mentioned.

For plinking....obtain a Ruger 10/22..it will give you everything you need in a fun, gun that will help train you in rifle competency, IE using scopes,steady aim,and executing the shot.

For your Hunting rifle the Browning stainless "Weather warrior" or A-BOLT in .308 will be perfect NOT excessive recoil, and will do an excellent job on Whitetails....I will vouch for this over 50 times. :)

And as far as the BOSS is concerned, some like it some don't, I never needed any new doodad's on my rifle.
And I HATE them Muzzle BRAKES' the only thing they do is brake your hearing!
The recoil isn't large enough in this caliber to warrant it.

I would reserve them for the BIG magnums and only at the Range were shooting from the bench can hurt with the BIG boy calibres.

And If you want to plink with the browning t as well. You can use inexpensive .308 surplus ammo available.

Good Luck , WOLF

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited January 11, 2000).]

Top Gun, I have a 30-06 stainless with boss that I hunt with and even when I don't see any deer, it's fun to hunt with. The "feel" and balance are better for me than the Remington 700. I went to the range one afternoon and shot 40 rounds of off-the-shelf Rem core lokt 150 grains and with the Boss, my shoulder was NOT sore the next day. It shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards with federal premium boat tails from a bench rest. It now ships with a NR Boss - if you don't want the muzzle blast noise, then screw the NR boss and it functions as a conventional rifle. The recoil then increases about 30% for the 30-06. My nephew shoots a 270 and this year has bagged his yearly limit (10) with no misses or losses. My 9 year old son shoots a Browning BAR in 270 - this year shot twice, bagged two. We all love our Brownings. I suggest you get the Boss (it's worth it IMO) and if you are particularly recoil sensitive get it in a 243, 270, or 308 caliber). You could shoot a 243 with boss all afternoon if you could afford the ammo. 308 ammo is cheaper for plinking (mil surplus.) The resale value of a stainless browning with boss will not disappoint you and you would be able to sell it quickly if you care for it. Hope this helps. Bill

Back