Browning Lever Question

Ruffasacob

Inactive
I'm looking at a older BLR model 81. It has no safety, only the hammer half cock. When you pull the hammer to half cock with your thumb, you can pull the trigger and the hammer will fall. If you use the lever to put the hammer on half cock, you pull the trigger and the hammer won't fall. Is this normal or is there a problem with the trigger, sear, hammer. I took the hammer out and almost expected to see a broken half cock notch, but everything looked OK.

Thanks for any insights, Ruff

That does not happen with my early BLR. When I pull the hammer to half cock and then pull the trigger nothing happens, just as it should. I never though about using the lever/bolt to move the hammer to half cock. I suspect there is something wrong internally with your rifle.

It is never normal to have the hammer fall when it is on half cock and the trigger is pulled.

As for using the lever to put the hammer on half cock.... huh? I've never heard of that, unless you mean you PARTIALLY throw the lever only enough to move the hammer back to half cock... OK, now that I think about it, that would make sense...

But, it doesn't make sense that the half cock works in that situation.

I think something is screwed up inside it, but I'm just not familiar enough with the BLR to say what it might be.

I'd wager the trigger pivot/return is dirty/gunked up, and failing to seat fully - OR, when YOU pull the hammer to half-cock, you're not pulling the hammer back far enough to allow the tip of the trigger to nest behind the edge of the half-cock notch, instead letting it settle right on the edge, where a trigger pull will yank it off the hammer.

Or a combination of both........................

The new ones have a piece on the hammer you fold over to provide a safety of sorts. I gave mine to my son, and it has been in Alaska for 3 years so I don't have it to take a few photos of what I am trying to describe...

Back