Browning HP vrs. Beretta 92

Joe Portale

Hello all and Merry Christmas!

I am planning on heading to the gunstore in the next couple of days to pick up Christmas present for myself. I have been looking at the Beretta Compact 92, forgot the real name of it and a Browning HP. I was hoping that some of you could give me guidance as to the "better" of these two pistols.

I am concerned with reliability, longevity and accuracy. I have fired both of these pistols and like them both, therefore I'm having a hard time making up my mind. If you had your choice which would you won and why?

Joe Portale

Hello. I've owned both the HP and the M92 and I much prefer the HP. It has fewer parts (to break or get out of whack) and is very easy to detail-strip to the last piece should that be important to you. The newer MKIIIs shoot very accurately and are reliable with a very wide selection of high performance ammuntion. The downside is that with Browning not importing after 2000, HPs could become very hard to get; I'm told that 9mms are hard to find now. You can also still find plenty of extra parts and pre-ban magazines for the HP at more "reasonable" prices. In short, my choice would be for the more compact Browning HP over the Beretta. Best and happy holidays.

The Beretta is more reliable, accuracy and longevity about the same (for most major parts, chrome-lined B barrels last longer)w std pressure ammo. W a steady diet of +P+, the Beretta blocks will need replacing about every 17-22K.

Good luck findng a new BHP in 9mm BTW. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

I would get the Browning Hi-Power if you can since they are no longer imported. If it's for defensive purposes and you aren't comfortable with Single Action "Cocked and Locked" carry you'd be better off with the Beretta 92.

They are both excellent firearms, you won't go wrong with either one.

I bought both and ended up keeping the Browning HP. I purchased it back in 1989 and have never had one problem out of it. All I have done is add pachmayr combat grips. Super gun!!!! The Arcus 94 is just as Super if you want a budget HP you dont mind playing rough with..

"We dont need to remove handguns from our citizens, we only need to restore morals and values to our youth"

Ah, well, I say if you had to choose JUST ONE, get the Beretta... but if you could buy one now, one later... Get the Browning since it is apparently soooo hard to find... Cuz the Beretta will be around for awhile... beleive me

Hello to all,

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I fell I should bring ya'll up to date.

I ended up with a screaming deal on a Beretta and bought it instead of a High Power. I bought a Beretta 92/96 "Combo" pack. If there is anyone else, besides me, who didn't know this was available, it's like getting two guns for the price of one. The setup is a full size frame with one 9mm and one .40 caliber slide. Swap the slides and you change calibers. Pretty neat, huh? This pistol feels real good in my hands and I like the balance. My wife who is a small lady likes the way the Beretta handles. The machining of the mating surfaces appears to be top drawer.

The used HP's that I could find were pretty beaten up and very expensive. I will own one sooner or later.

Well, it's off to the range to tear up some targets and make noise. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

For practical purposes including home defense get the Beretta 92FS. The 92FS is an extremely reliable, safe and accurate pistol. High cap magazines are easy to find, parts can be ordered directly from Beretta. Contrary to some postings, they have a very good customer service. I just ordered some small parts (to have handy, just in case), they send them free of charge.
The more I research about modern pistol designs, the more I appreciate the qualities of the 92FS. I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Browning Hi-Power. It is a CLASSIC that would well serve the advanced shooter. For me, it is an object of beauty and funcionality. A combination very rarely obtained. It is a true shame it won't be imported any more. KIMBER needs to start producing Hi-Power clones!!!!

Sgt Rod,

I agree with all your statements. It would be nice if an American firm would pick up the High Power design. But, given the current political trends in this country, I'm not sure anyone wants to invest in the machinary and tooling required for a product that may not be allowed to be marketed. I know that Browning is no longer importing the HP, but are they abandoning production of this model also? I could not find out.

joe

Browning Technology is old hat. The Hi Power is a wonderful gun but the research dates back to 1935-----64 years ago. I assure you, if Browning Hi Powers were selling like hot cakes in the U.S., their importation would not be discontinued.

American shooters prefer the design advances provided by Glock,Beretta,Ruger,Sig,HK and others.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

They both are excellent. I was "forced" to sell one last month because of another purchase. I will miss that Beretta. But at least I will be able to buy another someday.

Dear Desert Dweller:

Keep the area where the trigger bar fits into the frame lubricated as well as the portion where the slide stop goes through the frame. Lightly coat all slide surfaces that mate with the locking block as well. Oil the grip screws periodically and keep the barrel lubed also. Completely oil the locking block surfaces and the areas where it contacts the barrel. Remember, easy does it with the chrome-lined barrel. Occasional usage of a strong cleaner is needed but the chrome lining will work with you to keep fouling down to a minimum if you avoid lead. A fiber brush is usually sufficient and is preferred over a metallic offering. Beretta Pistols like oil.

You may be surpised to know that there are no stamped parts on a Beretta-------all are machined from froged steel. Each weapon made in the U.S. is proof fired with a 55-60 PSI proof load and then magnafluxed for stress marks or cracks. Each pistol is manufactured to such tolerances that the gun must be placed on a machined and cycled 350 times before a human hand can manipulate the slide. All parts are produced with a tolerance the width of a human hair. There are 11 custom tools in the Maryland plant that cost over 60K each to achieve these processes. DO NOT have the weapon outfitted with a custom finish due to the close tolerances which include all coating thicknesses. The 92 Series can be loaded from the chamber with no damage to the extractor unlike many other handguns.

Beretta Oilio and Benelli Oil are pricey but they do a wonderful job lubricating and don't attract dust. Per Mr. Renzo Cella of Beretta USA------AVOID REM OIL! Before you write off the Beretta Oilio, try it. Be careful, it's habit forming and you may find yourself using it on all other firearms or even as aftershave!

Above all, ignore the sour grapes of those who loved the 1911 and enjoy yourself. You may not have the durability of Glock Tenifer finish or the longevity of the steel-framed 1911, but I guarantee you the 92 version of your package will digest anything you feed it. The Glock 9's are sensitive to lower powered loads and are dangerous over the long haul with lead. The HP's are great but they are picky eaters. The Sig's have a reputation for slide cracking at the 10K mark whereas the Beretta's will go up to 35K w/+P before you need to worry. I will pit the 92 up against any make in the accuracy department. They are one of the most "shootable" products out there----bar none.

I'll stop.

Good luck,God Bless, Happy New Year and be sure to eat some Black-eyed peas on 1/1/00!

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Will Beararms,

Just as a side note, I know of several Beretta 92's that have well over 100K shot through them. These are range rental guns at a local indoor shooting range. Like rental cars, these guns probably had the hell pounded out of them. I asked the range owner about how many repairs were done to the gun, he claims that the 92's had little or no maintenance beyond cleanings and only minor adjustments.

Not bad.

Joe P.

I throw my 2 cents in with Brokenarrow and Joe. The Beretta 92fs is one sweet pistol.

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

Back