Browning HP Problem

Joe Portale

hello everyone,

My question concerns the double feeding on my P35 HP. This pistol has been absolutly flawless until this evening. I could not get through a single mag without at least one failure. I have five magazines, two original with new Wolff springs, three after markets that I don't even remember where they came from. Since the failures happened with all the mags, it is tempting to rule them out.

The only other thing that I can think of is that the extractor is going goofy. Manually cycle the rounds and they feed and pull out perfectly.

Just for the record, I was running a little bit of a hot round. 115 grain FMJ's at around 1100 - 1200 FPS. Of course, this is the round that I have been using for some time and disn't have any problems with it before. These also feed and cycle perfectly through my Beretta.

I'm stumped. :confused:

Joe, I think you're on the right track. Inspect the extractor hook for wear. It may need replacing/adjustmen. Take a good look at your chamber also. The reason it works fine manually is because the brass hasn't expanded from being fired. George

Sounds to me like you need to replace the extractor.

When you say double-feed, do you mean the fired brass is still in the pistol, interering with the feeding of the new round? Failure to eject properly?

If so, that's exactly what my HP (clone) began doing alluva sudden. I noticed a very small chip on the extractor. Replaced the extractor & spring, and now its perfect again.

Dave R,

When I say double feed, the fired round is not being pulled out of the breech all the way and the new round is hanging up on the empty case.

I have insopected the extractor claw and it looks okay, so I tweaked the adjustment. Hopefully, I'll get to the range in the next day or so and see how this works. I'll let youguys know how everything turns out.

Joe

Joe, is that the old style HP with the long extractor like the 1911 or the new type with the short extractor and coil spring? If the former, the extractor may need "tuned" just like the .45's do sometimes. It sounds like the extractor may be dropping the brass before ejection, and that is caused by failure of the extractor.

Jim

Joe, the symptoms you describe surely sound like an extractor problem. If the pistol has much "mileage" on it, I would replace the xtractor & extractor spring on principle, before spending $$ on anything else.

You can do it yourself in 15 minutes with a small (1/16"?) punch. You can buy the parts from Browning (or KBI, in my case) for $25 or so.

e-mail me if you want instructions (with appropriate disclaimers).

Hi folks,

Well, I tweaked the extractor and no go. It still doesn't pull out the empty case. I was wondering, if an extractor from a 1911 could be fitted to work in this gun. Gun Parts has the extractors for about $30 and Cylinder and Slide has them for $70 (must be proud of those puppies). Anyway, thanks for the help.

Joe writing inmy other incarnation as Stuckatwork.

The 1911 extractor won't work, but Gun Parts has the original type at $37.50. Sounds like a lot and maybe they are cheaper elsewhere.

Jim

Back