Browning HP in .357Sig

Joe Portale

I was looking at an older FN High Power P35 the other day and was cosidering buying it. I have one of these in 9mm and really like it. My favorite round is the .357Sig, good punch with the recoil of a 9mm. I know that some folks have converted the newer HP's from .40 to the .357 by simply switching the barrel. Does anyone think that the same thing could be done with a P35. It looks like the bushing would need to be reamed out some. I am nore concerned with the ability of the frame to take the beating from the hotter round. What do you guys think? Is this a feasible project?

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

Vote at the polls, now. Or, we will be voting from the roof tops, later.

"Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.
I am neither".

The breach face would have to be opened up to take the rim of the 40/357 case. Not an easy proposition. It could be done, but would require a special made end mill to reach through the bushing hole all the way to the breach face. The cost of the end mill would be close to the cost of a 40 cal slide if not more. Then you would have to buy the extractor. Just buy a 40 cal slide & fit up an aftermarket 357 Sig bbl to save time & headaches. I, too, have been looking for a good used 40 slide for such a project.

It'd be easier to buy a .40 cal. The 357 Sig has significantly more power than the 9mm. If you already have a P35 and want to convert it to 357 sig, it'd be cheaper to sell your gun and buy a .40 cal to rework. Having said that... if you do want to convert it then you're in for some work. The slide has to be machined, extractor replaced, ejector tuned, etc. It's not that simple of an operation. My opinion is that you should use an already modified slide in the form of the .40 cal Browning.

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...

Back