Browning HP going away???

Joey

I have been in 3 local gun shops and they have confirmed that Browning is dropping the High Power. Browning CS denied this, but I was told again today that it is true. Then
later today, a salesman who works in my favorite gunshop said that another BIG manufacturer has been quietly letting dealers know that they may be out of the civilian handgun market soon. He was unable to say who as the boss was right there, just that it was sombody other than Colt.

Can anyone confirm this?

Browning has not been selling very many guns that were designed in 1935. I heard that they have not been in full production for 3 years and have been mostly selling existing stock and only producing fill ins. The BDM was dropped years ago and can still be found for sale. Basically the HP for its size, as a SA gun, limited to a 10 round magazine, it is not competative in todays market.

If this is true, its a real shame. I'm a great fan of the HP. Jeff is right though, one of the major selling points of the HP was its hi-cap design. It was the original hi-cap 9mm. But once you got it in your hands you discovered what a great gun it really is. I've never met anybody who didn't coment on how the HP just seemed to fit their hand perfectly.
With the 10 round limit, there are smaller, lighter guns that will do the job and I guess they are more popular with new shooters. Most of us old guys already have one.

Bad news, if true. Rumors of the demise of the BHP have been floating around for many years--since FN began to experiment with DA/SA pistols. But in today's political and economic climate the rumors sound a lot more plausible than they used to.

BTW, one of the things I like about the current crop of Hi-Powers is that Browning has mostly held the line on quality. I realize that BHPs are investment cast nowadays and assembled in Portugal. Also, their triggers aren't what they used to be. But the overall fit, blue finish, and walnut stocks on a new Standard are as nice as they were on the BHPs of twenty years ago.

Anyway, I'll be sorry if the long production of the Hi-Power is coming to an end.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited October 15, 1999).]

Thank goodness FEG of Hungary is Still making the PJK 9HP.

Solid construction and they shoot really well. And hey they still take all those magazines made since 1935!!!

Recently saw an ad for south african 17 shot hi-power magazines (get em while they last)

Dr.Rob

It looks like it's true.

I was in my favorite gunshop last week, and he was told by Browning that once the existing stock is gone, there will be no more. He is direct with Browning and got it from the company, not from a distributor trying to move dusty stock. Supposedly, the Buckmarks might survive.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised. The Hi-Power has to be a very tiny portion of Browning's sales. Look at how much space it occupies in Browning's catalog compared to the shotguns. It gets less mention every year, and I don't think it even got a full page this year. They may have been looking for an excuse to drop it for years, and Colt just gave them a golden opportunity to slip out the door unnoticed while attention was diverted Colt's way.

If the reason for Colt's bailout is because the lawsuits don't make it profitable, then it stands to reason that the miniscule sales of Hi-Powers isn't enough to keep them around for Browning. Really, how often do you see a brand new one being sold? Occasionally, yes, but nothing like so-called more modern designs.

It's a shame. I love my Hi-Power, and already regretted trading another I had before I heard this. If I can dream a little, this could work out better for us. Since Browning is evidently done with it, maybe some other company will pick it up, put the old quality back in it, and promote it a little more. I have a beautiful picture forming in my mind of the Springfield Inc Ultra Compact Hi-Power.

The P-35 as marketed by Browning has got to be one of the classier rigs out there. I hope that they reconsider, be it true, and lose their shirts to a smart boy who fills the niche, if they do not resume their sales of the Browning High Power.

My Dad, a CHL instructor, calls his the "cheater gun," for those who may be marginal on the shooter qualifications. If the client can't qualify with that forgiving piece, they just don't need to walk around heeled... :)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Back