Browning high powers for y2k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunz387

I have made the decision that I need to add two 9 mm handguns to my y2k artillery. Sorry all you GTers but I don't want a G17 because how it fits and feels in my hand. The question is would the browning high power be reliable enough to be able to keep firing during rough treatment? Would it have good enough accuracy to be able to take game? Is it a well balanced pistol? Does it have any problems that would need gun smithing? Whats the going price for new and used high powers? Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Criminals prefer unarmed victims

Browning High Powers are known for their reliability the world over in all sorts of adverse conditions. I own two, one 9mm and one 40S&W, both very acurate. I chose the BHP for those reasons plus the way they fit my hand. You'll pay four to five hundred new. Maybe a little less for used depending on condition. maybe a little more for a good condition made in Belgium model. Clint

Advantages of the Browning Hi-Power:
- Excellent grip shape
- Good accuracy
- Reliability
- Slim profile
- Plenty of magazines and other parts available

Disadvantages:
- Heavy, creepy trigger
- Magazine "safety" (unless you like that sort of thing...?)
- Heavy for a 9mm (all-steel)
- Hammer bite
- Older models have tiny sights, thumb safety
- Not as "user friendly" as a 1911 or a Glock

If you're willing to do a little "upgrading", I think the FEG HP clone is an excellent buy at a little over $200.

Also, another 9mm to look at is the Ruger P95: cheap, lightweight and very reliable.

The Hi-Power is an EXCELLENT choice. It is rugged, reliable, accurate, graceful, and elegant. Other than that I don't care for it much (just joking).

Mine has been worked over by Wayne Novak and is the most reliable handgun I have ever owned, including my Glocks.

Try it, you'll like it.

I say yes.....there not heavy, there actually almost compact, the newer models are the way to go for a shooter imo.....sights are good, ambidextreous safety and parts are everywhere including magazines........I trade or throwaway the stocks, that plastic is awful, and replace with a pair of spegel boot grips. The other down side is the stock trigger is not a competition style trigger, it can be improved and is not hard to do by a competent gunsmith....reliability in mine is superb....imo, its one of finest pistols made....fubsy. If you use the search engine you will find a thread on hi-powers .....fubsy.

Greetings, sir. In my opinion, the HP is the finest "fighting" single-action auto extant! It is also my favorite handgun. Though some counsel against it, removing the magazine safety generally improves the trigger pull and allows the magazine to drop free when the release is pressed. I find the current HPs, the MK IIIs to be utterly reliable with a wide range of high-performance loads. I prefer Spegel stocks, but the less pricey Uncle Mikes (also designed by Spegel) really improve the feel in my opinion. Because the HP is so "old," there are millions of pre-ban Hi-Cap magazines "out there." After market brands like Pro-Mag have worked well in my HPs and I use them at the range saving my factory Hi-Caps for other needs. You can still get pre-ban factory HP mags for about $60, too high, but often less than other brand Hi-Cap mags. Current MkIIIs will generally put 5 rounds into 2.5" or less at 25 yards with loads they like. I replace the factory recoil spring with a Wolff conventional 18.5 lb spring as I shoot warm loads on occassion. This weight spring will still work with standard loads and prevents battering. In short, sir, the Browning HP is a superb choice for any self-defense scenario, Y2K or not. Best.

Greetings, sir. In my opinion, the HP is the finest "fighting" single-action auto extant! It is also my favorite handgun. Though some counsel against it, removing the magazine safety generally improves the trigger pull and allows the magazine to drop free when the release is pressed. I find the current HPs, the MK IIIs to be utterly reliable with a wide range of high-performance loads. I prefer Spegel stocks, but the less pricey Uncle Mikes (also designed by Spegel) really improve the feel in my opinion. Because the HP is so "old," there are millions of pre-ban Hi-Cap magazines "out there." After market brands like Pro-Mag have worked well in my HPs and I use them at the range saving my factory Hi-Caps for other needs. You can still get pre-ban factory HP mags for about $60, too high, but often less than other brand Hi-Cap mags. Current MkIIIs will generally put 5 rounds into 2.5" or less at 25 yards with loads they like. I replace the factory recoil spring with a Wolff conventional 18.5 lb spring as I shoot warm loads on occassion. This weight spring will still work with standard loads and prevents battering. In short, sir, the Browning HP is a superb choice for any self-defense scenario, Y2K or not. Best.

Greetings. In a 9mm defense pistol, the HP is probably the top choice. With loads it likes, it will group within 2.5" at 25 yards and current MkIIIs are very, very reliable.
Best. You have made a wise choice.

Though my personal preferance is the bigger the hole the better I do own 1 9 minimum... a Browning HP. It iw the only 9 minimum I would own outside of a few modles by HK... but those wouldn't be considered handguns.

I've had Tritium sights put one it, a reliability backage (smoothing up the action) and a trigger job. Unfortunitely, while performing the above work the magizine safety fell out and my Smith sort of misplaced it. :( ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Excellent choice.

I still think the best Y2K gun is a stainless steel 357 magnum revolver. Tough, ammo and parts everywhere.

For autos the BHP, 1911, Glock for the same reasons. Beretta and SIG too, though not to the same extent.

------------------
>>>>---->

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back