Browning High Power -- Smaller version?

MatthewVanitas

Greetings all,
Just out of curiousity, is there any downsized version of the Browning HP out on the market? The 1911 has its Commander, CCO, and Officer models, is there any corresponding optional shrinkage in the BHP?
There seems to be some item called the "Captain's Model". Is that any smaller, shorter in the barrel or the grip?
Thanks all.

I don't think Browning ever came out with a compact version. One of the other makers of a HP clone had a compact version but I can't remember what they were called?

Isn't the HP version called the Captain the one with the ladder type (or whatever it's called? The one like on a broom handeled Mauser) rear sight?

Intel6, the "Capitan" is the BHP with the sight like a rifle which has a slide to adjust for some unreasonable (IMO) distance. It's called a tangential (I think) sight.

FEG makes a smaller version. I was going to post the URL I have for FEG, but when I checked it, it wouldn't work. Hope that's not bad news. May want to check with KBI Inc. I believe they import the FEG.

There was a smith or two that was chopping HP's, but I can't remember who. Now that it has been brought up, it sure sounds like a nice way to get a small carry gun albeit rather expensive. There are so many nice carry guns available now that it probably doesn't make sense to go the smithing route. I'm going to search Browning HP and see what I turn up.

FM (Argentina) used to make a shortened version they called the Detective model. It had a full size grip, but the barrel and slide were shortened about 3/4 " as I recall. I haven't seen one in a while for sale, but did one up for a friend some years back. Don't know whether they're still importing or even making them any more. Austin Behlert used to do a chopped version.

I had a Fm Detective for awhile. Very reliable, not very accurate. I think it had a three and a half or four inch barrel.

I am told that the only thing the designers of the Kahr consciously stole from any gun design was the feel of the HP grip. It has a completely different mode of operation but I definitely get that impression when I hold the all steel versions.

Back