Browning Hi-Power

three_grams

Inactive
I tested Mark III silver-chrome and it is the most accurate out of the box handgun I have ever had. I need to work on these groups however to get them consistent.

Questions, in no particular order:

Has Browning discontinued the Silver Chrome model, if so, why?

Is it is safe to shoot IMI - Israli military Institute 9mm in it? Does it generally handle hot 9mm P+ ammo without getting beat up, ie. frame to slide fit getting loose?

I have several 13 round Pachmayr magazines that all rattle when full, like there is a loose round in it. No problems with reliability just annoying, cheap feel. Why is this happening and what can be done about it?

In what ways does removing the mag safety improve the trigger pull? Legal aspects aside, is it worth it? Would it make the trigger pull *too* light and thus dangerous, prone to accidental discharge?

I would like to replace adjustible sights with good night sights. Suggestions?

Suggestions for a good IWB holster with condition 3 carry in mind?

Suggestions for better grips than standard rubber grips on Mark III, which seem to be made for a left-handed person?

Some answers in no particular order.

A steady diet of +P or +P+ ammo is not good for ANY pistol IMHO.

Browning is pretty much out of the HP business. See FNs new websight. New model will be called FN HIPOWER.

FM is selling the silver/chromed version as their Delux model.

My favorite grips have all come from Pick-A-Grip.

Removing the mag safety can improve the trigger and make the pistol more enjoyable. It does reduce safety. YMMV

9mm mags rattle because the cartridge is tapered. This leaves the back end of the cartridges touching, but the front ends loose. The rattle will vary depending on the shape of the magazine, shape of the magazine follower, the spring tension, etc. Luger mags have the least rattle, but also the least reliability.

If the mag feeds reliably, don't worry about the rattle.

Jim

Wow

Jim,

I'll be darn, you learn something new everyday. For years I've been trying to find out why some 9 mags rattle and others don't. No matter what the make, Beretta, SIG Sauer, S&W, whatever, it always seemed as if I got the rattle mags. Now I know why.

Sounds like you haven't heard of http://www.fnhipower.com yet? Lots of good info there. Am LH also, Spegel grips are about the very best wood grips to be had. They are somewhat thinner but still have a mild "Palm Swell" effect. Consider Novak's sights: They look/function as if built precisely for HP's. Novak's can be had in Bar-Dot, 3-Dot, single front Dot, etc. http://www.novaksights.com The mag safety is no loss @ all especially considering the fairly high lb./pull weight on BHP's. The logic of most modern pistols not having same seems enough to put the Liability ques. to rest. Have had both removed from own HP's that also have ca. 4 1/2 lb. trigger jobs done by Novak's Kevin Stump. Personal favorite IWB is Ky-Tac's "Braveheart" 2nd is Frank Spezzano's Cen-Dex IWB http://www.cen-dex.com Leather is Lou Alessi's Talon+ IWB or one of Rusty Sherrick's Superb Horsehide rigs @ http://www.c-rusty.com . Others will surely chime in on the Excellent Leather available from Sparks, DelFatti, etc. Current rumor is that FN {US} will be bringing in HP's but don't know which cosmetic models.

Good call on the sights. You'll be replacing them soon anyway. I sent my high power practical back to the factory once to replace the large front blade sight that comes with the factory adjustable set-it just fell apart while shooting. They fixed, it fell apart again, I had Ashley Express fixed sights put on. Didn't spring for tritium though.

Removing the mag safety will take a pound or two off your trigger pull. It should not make your trigger too light. I think my trigger dropped from around 7# to something around 5# after the mag safety was taken out. I also replaced the trggier with a C&S wide combat trigger, which makes it "feel" lighter.

Can't offer any advice on replacing the Pachmayer rubber grips that look like they are made for a left handed shooter. Turns out I'm a left handed shooter-I like them!

Enjoy your HP.

Back