Browning Hi-Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaramanga

I'm thinking hard about purchasing a Browning Hi-Power, specifically one from Cylinder and Slide, and I have a question for those of you that own a HP.

Does one need to have a lot of work done on the HP for reliability, accuracy, etc..? I shot one recently and enjoyed it, but I was not excited about the safety and sights.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Hello. I'd suspect the HP you are purchasing has been customized with extend thumb safety and Novak Sights. If you purchase a current MKIII, you'll find an extended ambi thumb safety and very usable sights right out of the box. The weapon will likely feed any JHP you care to name. These newer guns do not require "work" before reliability in most cases. If it's an older gun with the tiny safety and sights, the custom route alluded to above is certainly one way to go.

Best.

My Hi-Power "Practical" has had no feed or reliability work whatsoever and with over 2000 rounds of all different types of ammo including hollowpoints and reloads of various weights, I have had no jams or malfuntions of any kind.
I did polish the mating surfaces of the trigger action and magazine safety to smooth the trigger pull and that seems to have greatly improved the action. The safety lever on mine has always been rather heavy to activate, I've not addressed this issue yet, and probably won't as it comes off safe just fine.
Accuracy has always been above average on my particular pistol so no work was needed here either.
Great pistol and I'd buy another one in a minute.

------------------
TJS

[This message has been edited by Tim Schlosser (edited September 08, 1999).]

I would agree with my friends Stephen and Tim. I own a BHP Practical for about 6 months
now; and have done absolutely no work to it.
It shoot's great right out of the box. Yes,
I would buy amother one too, Tim.

------------------
Ala Dan

I agree 100% with the group. I liked my Hi-Power so much I did buy another. Both will eat anything I feed them, but I did break the front sight off the Silver Chrome one. The Practical has been 100% reliable, and seems to prefer Cor-Bon's. The only changes I made were Speigal(sp) grips on both. I like the slimmer profile they give. Both HP's still have the mag safety, but I used 1200 grit wet/dry paper to polist the shoe and the sides of each magazine. After polishing, I greased the side of the magazine with DSX, a Fluoropolymer grease. I seems to have soothed out nicely. The trigger pull is still somewhat heavy, but satin smooth. C&S should be ready to run right out of the box.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net

The modern day Hi-Powers have very good barrels right out of the box. I sent my Browning to C&S and had some very minor work done. Novak sights, C&S trigger (no trigger job was done) and Spiegel grips. I removed the magazine disconnect myself.
My groups went from 4-5", down to around 2".
This was with no accuracy work, or action work done at all. The potential is there, it just needs a little fine tuning.

I purchased my Hi-Power, used, in 1983. It is an all Belgian model that has had some light customizing (sights, trigger job, extended safety) by Novak.

It is without question the most reliable handgun I have ever owned, including my Glocks(and no, it is not for sale).

Buy the Browning, you won't be disappointed.

I havre had a Hi Power for several years. It is one made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. It shoots very good and feeds all kinds of ammo with no problem. I will take this Browning over any 9mm pistol. but i prefer single action autos over the double action guns.

Outstanding gun and C&S is the best place to work on one. Aside from a little trigger work, my MKIII is pretty much stock and I see no reason to change it. After thousands of rounds, not one problem of any kind. The HP is one of my favorite guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back