Browning HI Power in 40 s&w

T22

Inactive
I am going to purchase a new handgun and this pistol is on my short list. The general use will be ocasional CCW and home defense. I was wondering about the reliability and durability of a Hi Power chambered for this round. I don't have a 40 or a Hi Power in my safe, and if this gun is reliable and durable, I'm thinking it would kill 2 birds with one stone. I own Glocks(9mm)and Kimber's(45)now. Thanks for all the help, Terry. BTW, I did a search.

Not nearly as nice as the BHP in 9mm. Had one Hated it. Inaacurate nasty trigger. Sold it to a friend for $1 he loves it.

T22, I bought a Browning Hi Power .40 S&W about 1-1/2 years ago and am pleased with it. It is dead reliable, and almost as accuracte as my Kimber Gold March. Like all BHP's, the magazine disconnect contributes to funky trigger pull, so I had the mag disco removed, like I've done with my 9mm BHP's. I also installed a pair of Spegel-designed rubber stocks from Uncle Mike's, which are much better than the stock walnut grips. I removed the stock adjustable sights and installed a set of night sights by Trijicon. And I had a larger Cylinder & Slide thumb safety installed.

My only complaint about the browning .40 is the same as with all BHP's -- the fairly long trigger/disconnector reset. That probably wouldn't be an issue if the BHP were the primary gun for me -- I'd get used to it. But, since I shoot a 1911 a lot, I tend to forget to lift up my finger enough, expecially during hte heat of IDPA! (g)

BTW, Dillon has a relatively inexpensive holster, called the LTD, for the BHP. Very nice rig, for less than $50. It's a tunnel-and-loop belt holster.

Love it.

Carry it all the time. I traded a 9mm with target sights for it. Sent it out for a reliability package, mag release, crowned barrel, trijicon sights, polished ramp and barrel, trigger job, beveled edges and matte blue. I have less than $1000 all told including shipping and grips.

The one bad thing about the .40 is the recoil spring. Everybody recommends staying with the 20 but it`s a bear to put back in. Be careful when you disassemble also.

Back