Browning Hi-Power conversion

I love my BHP, but it probably didn't love the hot-loaded ammo I've fed thru it. (135 grain hard cast bullets with an embarrassing amount of Bullseye that I won't publish. It would probably be a great load for an Uzi) I probably just got lucky because I only shot a hundred or so of those. The chamber can handle it; I'm not so sure about the rest of the action.

I think you'll prematurely wear out the locking lugs or something with anything hotter than normal 9mm and occasional +P 9mm. .40S&W Hi-Powers don't have a great reputation.

Now we'll see what the experts say :)

.40 HP's

I'm not completely sure of this, but I think BHP"s from advent of those chambered in .40 forward, had slightly beefier frames to accommodate the pressures generated by the .40 S&W v. the milder 9mm

Seems like I have read BHP fans bemoaning the change as it spoiled the feel of the classic BHP. I don't know if an additional 5000 units of pressure generaated by the .357SIG (if indeed those numbers are right , would threaten the "new" BHP frame or not.

It is pretty common to see various pistols with barrel swaps between that family of cartridges.........I dunno

The failure i've seen has been the barrel, not the frame.
+P 9mm resulted in the "recoil lug" on the bottom of the barrel to crack and cause a stoppage.
Resulting in new barrel and no more +P ammo.

Back