Browning hi-power compact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bell

Wasn't there a BHP compact some years ago. What ever happend to it? What specs? Capacity, length/width ? Also, wasnt there a competion BHP?

I believe the only compact model made was of feg manufactuer and on the competition models i really dont know but they have been made in all possible configurations, there are some that come with very good adjustable sights they just stick up to high for me, and they have some two tone models---even one with a gold trigger, and im not sure what they call those as I stay pretty much with the plane jane model...you can still find used models with the lanyard loop and some with the stock slot and the ladder rear sights and there is some kinda funny dished out area on the slide, there is two of them in a local gun store near me....fubsy.

FM out of Argentina made a short slide version called the Detective I believe. I don't have the specs though...

From Argentina - don't have the specs for the "Detective" handy - its more or less standard issue for LEO's here, especially officers, both Fedral and different Provincial police. Its quality is very good (FM, 'Fabricaciones Militares' usually is - depends on the Defense Ministry which has had a more generous budget in the past than others). It handles much like a regular HP, IMO the shorter barell makes almost no difference. Beware of second hand FM's - many could be shot out as they can get a lot of range use - on the other hand, some are hardly used at all and good bargins.

Hastas pronto!

Daniel,

Thanks for remebering my post. It was part of the "Browning Hi Pwr" thread which shows a date of 7-25 currently.

Here's the link again... 3 photos with full modification descriptions. Both a FN MkIII and a FM Detective are shown. Unfortunately I don't think the Argentine guns are currently being imported. I still believe they're the best of the clones as they're made on Belgian FN equipment left there as part ofg a military contract. Quite similar situation to that of the Beretta equipment Taurus inherited.

click link here

For those concerned about hammer bite, the Cylinder & Slide skeletonized commander style hammer on the MKIII completely obviates any bite without having to resort to welding a short beavertail or bobbing the hammer... great stuff.

Hope this helps :)!

-=[Bob]=-

....as far as specs on the Detective, it is one inch shorter than a standard MKIII, has a non-tapered slide front end which accounts for it weighing exactly the same as a standard MKIII. The recoil guide and dual recoil springs are unique and not interchangeable with any FN or aftermarket parts. Barrels are interchangeable albiet they'll stick out the front of the Detective slide unless shortened and recrowned.

-=[Bob]=-

A bit off topic, but I have a pic of the new FN DA High power compact (HPDA9C; not the BDM!) if ya want it; contact me off list. FN said they should be available in the USA later this year, along with the full size DA HP.

No forty, and the old hicaps do NOT work in it, so I think it's DOA?

------------------
>>>>---->

About the compact HiPowers - Israel Arms imports a compact single action that I read somewhere is a clone. You can see a picture at: http://www.israelarms.com/m1500.html - data from that site:

Caliber 9mm .40 S&W
Mag Capacity: 12 rds 13 rds (??)
Mag Capacity/USA: 10 rds 10 rds

Barrel length 3.9"
Overall length 6"
Height 5.1"
Weight unloaded 32.2 oz.
Weight loaded 34 oz.

I have asked at gunshops and another forum, and no one seems to have ever seen one of these. A compact HiPower in .40 sure sound interesting though! Does anyone here know anything about these pistols? Thanks - Anoka

[This message has been edited by Anoka (edited August 17, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back