Browning Cynergy Trigger Question ???

Boomer44

Hi Guys... I own a Cynergy 12 GA. I love the gun and I shoot well with it. The only problem I find with this gun is the Trigger pull is over 5 Lbs.

My question is .... What can I do about this ??? I have been told by several gun smiths that they would not touch it. Griffin & Howe (New Jersey) told me they can fix it. Now another gun smith told me if you lighten the trigger pull you also lighten the pressure on the hammer, and he did not recommend it. I am not sure if that was his way of being nice and getting out of it, or not.

Any suggestions on a fix ??? I don't want to sell the gun ???

Last edited:
Lightening up to 3.5-4 pounds is certainly doable
Shooting it a lot (if new) might help a little.
Has it been checked to see if maybe there is a slight burr somewhere? That can make the trigger a little heavier.

Reality is a 5# trigger is not that hard to pull, especially if there is no creep - are you pulling, slapping or doing something else when firing?

Randy Wakeman dings the Cynergy for heavy triggers. Believes many will want a trigger job. The one he tested had 6# and 6# 6 oz crisp triggers. Click here for article.

Here is an article on reducing trigger pull and/or creep. I only offer it to show that it can be done with the cynergy, but I would leave it to a trigger guy. This guy didn't have a heavy a trigger as did Wakeman, but too much creep.

Speaking of Brownings and creep, BigJImP should be along.:eek:

Last edited:
no need to sell the gun. A GOOD gunsmith can lighten the triggers and make you happy... ;) Remember, I said "GOOD"...

Ernie Marlette told me the spring for the trigger is the same spring that hits the Pins.... He said if you lighten up on one.... you are doing the same on the other...

I will call Griffin & Howe tomorrow, and get their input. Does anyone know a "Quality" gunsmith that would be up to the job ????

Dreaming said....
" Speaking of Brownings and creep, BigJImP should be along."
-------------
Hey now.....its the holiday season - be nice !! ( creep, come on man....)...
I can be creepy somedays ....but creeping is not my style.../ its more like blow right thru it and see what's left standing....:D
------------
Getting the trigger pull down to about 4 lbs ..and 4.5 lbs on 2nd pull....would be about right for me / and I think most of the better shotgun gunsmiths can do it.

( the old rule of thumb was about 0.5 lbs of pull difference between first and 2nd pull....so the gun doesn't "double" on you.../ and I don't think its changed...but I'd ask about that before I let anyone do a trigger job on one of my Citori's ).....

I spoke with Phillips in Texas... He said the spring for the trigger and the hammer are different... He also said the lowest he could get the first barrel is 4.25 and the second at 4.50.

He is about three weeks behind.... I am in New York any closer gunsmiths ???

If I get this right, the 725 and the Cynergy have the same trigger system. Also, they do not have a "hammer" or a "hammer spring" from what I have read and this from Browning. I wonder if it is the same system as on the 725, but for any reason the Cynergy is set up for a heavier pull? Might the field Cynergy guns have heaver triggers than the sporting models?

[Oopsy. After having some time to look at that cutaway from Browning, it looks like there is what I would call a hammer and there may be one for each firing pin.]

Last edited:
Dreaming,
Don't forget the trigger return spring -- it adds to trigger pull independently of the hammer spring.

I saw that, Zippy, and should have thought about it. I started to and my mind wandered off somewhere. I think we need to take Slugo's 725 apart and play with it. I just reread that article I posted in light of Rastoff's pictures and notice that it makes no mention of messing with the trigger return spring.

Back