Browning Citori

JWG1969

Inactive
Hello all,

I would like to get the opinion of some of the members on this site that are much more knowledgeable than me about shotguns in general and Browning Citori's to be specific.

A friend of mine is offering to sell me a Browning Citori White Lightning and I was wondering if you could tell me if this is something I should jump at or pass on. Here are the details of the offer

Browning Citori White Lightning. No dings or rust on the barrels. No gouges or scratches on the wood that I noticed but the stock and fore end have been refinished.
26" Barrels
5 screw in style choke tubes with the choke wrench
Hard style case with a fleece or velvet lining that is in excellent shape. I don’t believe the covering on the case is leather. (Someone told me the leather covered case’s have a belt and buckle system that wraps around the case, this one does not have that.)
Gun will be used for upland bird (mostly pheasant) hunting and the occasional trap round to get ready for the upland season
He is asking $1200.00. Good deal or not? Please let me know what you think. Thanks JG

Blue Book puts a White Lightning at:
98%: $1,475
95%: $1,250
90%: $1,075

With the case and chokes, sounds to me like you're right in the ballpark.

Sounds like a good deal. I'd do it. I have a the citori hunter, and love it. not that it matters, but what gauge is it?

12 or 20ga?
Invector or Invector Plus chokes?
The wood and refinish would have to be darn nice for me to pay book value.
$900 sounds about right.

Average prices in my area ...for a citori Lighting - field grade gun with no significant wear on it ...is right around $ 1,250.../ the case used is easily worth another $ 150 - $200 depending on condition. So I think your buddy is making you a fair deal...if you want the gun. If the refinish was done properly - and looks like the original Browning finish - there is no downside to the value....if it doesn't look like the original Browning finish - it could hurt the value ....just depends.

List price on the Citori Lightning....in 12ga or 20ga ...is $ 2,070 with the average price new in box around here at about $ 1,750. List on the case now, new , is about $350 ....not all of them have straps....go to Browning.com and look at the cases..fitted for O/U's and you'll find several styles.

26" barrels these days - are awful short. 28" is more common / and a lot of us went to 30" barrels on our Field guns ...and general purpose guns several years ago. 26" guns - tend to be a little "whippy" vs smooth on follow thru ....but it depends on what you like. Value on a 26" gun is less than a 28" or a 30" but the lightning series was only made in 26" and 28"...unless it was a special order gun - and that isn't likely.

the lightning series was only made in 26" and 28"
The guns were marketed to those wanting a light weight and fast handling gun. If you're going to hump a gun overland, a lighter gun is appreciated. If you're looking to break clays, a heaver (longer barrel) gun will swing smoother, kick less and score higher than a jerky light gun. I no longer have 26" O/Us, but have them in 28, 30 and 32-inches. Each swings a little differently and is better suited to specific shooting condition.

These days, I wouldn't offer a premium for a 26" gun. Because of the short barrels, I'd try to low-ball the seller. It will make a good field gun; but with 26s, on the trap line it's a handicap.

If you like the looks of the wood and the checkering didn't get butchered during the "refinishing" process, I would buy it. Those 26" barrels are fine by me. And they get a lot better the more miles you cover chasing birds. If the guy is indeed a friend, the gun should be mechanically sound as the white lightening's aren't that old. I'd buy it before someone else does.

Back