Browning Buckmark Question

abrahamsmith

So, it looks like i'll be getting a Browning Buckmark relatively soon. After handing all the .22 pistols I could find at a recent gunshow, it seems clear that the buckmark fits me best and points most naturally in my hand (except maybe the hammerli, but that'll wait a couple years). My purposes are plinking, squirrel hunting, and target shooting (not competetively).

Now, both the rosewood grips and the rubber grips fit me VERY well, BUT they fit very well in different ways. I like how both of them look, too! So:

I'd prefer to get the rubber instead of the wood at first, because it saves like $70, but I'd like the option of getting rosewood later..

How hard is it to change the grips on the Buckmark, and how hard are they to find aftermarket?

Also, for those of you who have Buckmarks, How have they performed, and what modifications did you make? (trigger job, etc?)

A. Smith: I recently bought a Browning Buckmark that is a Challenge Micro with the 4" barrel. This is the lightweight model with a reduced grip and thinner barrel. So far I've been pleased with it, total reliability and good accuracy (.75" at 12 yards). That was with high velocity hollow points, but I haven't tried target loads yet. I consider it a real value at $265.
Good Shooting, CoyDog

I have had my buckmark for about 6 years now. I haven't changed a thing. I really like the stock rubber grips. If you take the grips off watch out because if I remember right there are a couple of small parts under the grips so don't lose them. Also the allen screws that hold down the sights get loose all the time. I just have to snug them up after I go shooting. The trigger on mine was real nice out of the box. It's just a real fun pistol.

Thanks for your responses

> Also the allen screws that
> hold down the sights get loose
> all the time. I just have to snug
> them up after I go shooting.

My understanding is that the rear sight has to be unscrewed to clean the gun, so retightening them isn't that big of a deal since it has to be done after cleaing anyway, right?
is this correct?

I have a Buckmark with 5-1/2 inch barrel and factory rubber grips. Buckmarks are first class right out of the box. The fit, finish, and balance are great. The gold trigger makes a nice accent. My Buckmark is far more accurate than I am.

The only "problem" I have encountered is my Buckmark does not like Winchester ammo. I had several misfires from one brick where the firing pin dented the rim but the round did not fire. (It's quite possible the problem was with the ammo and not the pistol.) Since then I have stuck to CCI and Remington with no re-occurrences.

You have made an excellent choice, enjoy your Browning.

You do have to remove the allen screws to take the gun apart for cleaning, I just don't always get around to cleaning it every time I shoot my gun.

From what I understand, railroader is correct. There are some pieces in the grip that the stocks help hold in place. I've got the fingergrooved roasewoods on mine (I think they're rosewood). They are a bit long (front to back distance) but doesn't bother me too much. Mines very accurate but it does have a bit of an advantage as it is a Silhoette Unlimited.

I have a Buckmark Silhoette target barrel with formed rosewood grips. The gun is far, far more accurate than I am IF THE SCREWS ARE TIGHT. Two major problems with the gun. Screws holding the sight in place will looses. Star washers and loctite do no good. So after each box of ammo I pull out the hex driver and tighten both screws.

Other problem is the slide will fail to lock back on the last round. Regardless of the ammunition or tightness of the screws, the slide is give you a 50-50 chance of locking back.

I can live with these defects because it shoots so sweetly. Sooner or later I'll send a nasty-gram to Browning.

Back