Browning Buckmark Problem

Manny99

Inactive
I have a Browning Buckmark Standard and the rear screw that secures the sight base broke (please don't ask me to admit how it broke.)

I think I got all of the broken screw out but I'm not sure. When I try to put the front screw into the rear hole it doesn't go in all the way.

The next time one of you cleans your Buckmark, can you please let me know if both screws are the same length. If they are, then there is more metal that needs to be removed.
(I can check it myself, but it will be a while before the replacement screw arrives.)

Thanks in advance,
Manny

Manny99: Go to http://www.browning.com and visit the replacement parts section of the website. They have schematics of the Buckmark, the part numbers, and the prices. You can order replacement parts directly from Browning. That said, the front screw (part# PO52686)is shorter than the back one (PO52695). Don't forget to order an extra "buffer" while you are at it. These tend to break over time...Illini

No they are not the same length. The rear screw is quite longer then the front one. And please do tell us how you broke it. Not only so we can laugh at you but also so we wont break our own :-)

Lochaber

The screws are two different sizes.

The sight mount is a terrible design. I always have problems with the lock washers and tightening the screws too tight. If too tight, the slide does not move. Any improvement ideas?

Add one thinner washer on top of the factory washer.

Simple, but effective.

Now, how in the he// would you break that screw? Overtightening? Red loc-tite?

Regards.

Thanks to all who answered.

OK, if you must know... When I got the gun, the rear screw was so tight, it wouldn't come out. The Allen wrench that came with the gun stripped. I tried a T-10 but that broke. Finally, I tried a stronger Allen driver in a ratchet and that stripped the screw. I then tried to extract the screw with a #2 extractor, and the screw broke. Since the front screw is shorter and it doesn't go in all the way, part of the original screw must still be in the threads. I think it's time to visit a local gunsmith since I don't want to damage the threads. (Browning was nice enough to send me a replacement screw pronto. Since they were closed for inventory last week, the kind gentleman I spoke to got a screw and sent it right out to me. Great service.)

Again, thanks for the info and suggestions.

Manny

Back