Browning BPS 12 gauge turkey gun

phwe9774

I have a Browning BPS 12 ga that I would like to make a dedicated turkey gun. It has a 28" barrel, 3" chamber and 2 bead sights. I also have a turkey choke and I'm looking into recoil pads. I've heard about guys mounting a scope and I'm thinking about putting brighter, taller sights (something I can see better in low light). I'm just looking for a little insight into actual benefits of a scope on a shotgun, aside from obviously being able to see farther, and what type of scope would be good on a budget.

Also, any recommendations on recoil pads would be appreciated. I personally love Limb Saver but I can't seem to find one for a BPS. I found pad for BPS youth/ladies, but I honestly don't know the difference between a youth/ladies model and a regular model. My best guess would be overall size.

Thanks in advance for any help

I would go with a red dot before a scope, or a simple fiber optic front sight. Your range should never be more than 50 yds or so. I used the stock recoil pad on my BPS for years before I gave it to my son. Recoil on all pump guns can be punishing. But, once you have patterned the gun you will only be shooting at game. You will never feel the recoil at that point.

I'd prefer something with a 24" barrel as a dedicated turkey gun. The 28" would work and be a good choice as an all around gun.

If you want to try some fiber optic sights they are a good idea. A scope or dot on a shotgun is just in the way. Their main advantage is precision shooting in poor light. You don't need that type of precision with turkey and unlike deer and other big game turkey tend to wait until full daylight to move around.

Just about every brand of fiber optic sight on the market works well enough in poor light to shoot turkeys with. Some of them simply use a magnet to stick to the rib and stay on with no problem. Some require removing the front bead (it's screwed into the barrel, easy to remove). Some even come with fiber optic rear sights. I'd stay away from scopes and red dots. They just aren't necessary or needed to shoot turkey. As far as a recoil pad, save your money. You might get one or two shots at a turkey and in the "heat of the moment" you won't even notice any recoil. I'd put a recoil pad on a skeet, sporting clays, or trap gun where I was doing a lot of shooting but not on a turkey gun. I think everyone else gave you pretty good advice so far.

I recommend a set of fiber optic open sights. Light, inexpensive and all you need. It's good to have something to make sure that your head is in the right position given the odd positions you sometimes have to shoot from in turkey hunting. It's easy to raise your head and shoot over the bird.

However, once you have your head in the right place, shooting a turkey is an easy shot. It's not hard to hit a more or less stationary target at 50 yards when you have a sweet spot 10" in diameter. I don't hunt with open sights on a rifle any more, but I can still see well enough to put the red blur between the two green blurs to hit a turkey <50 yards away with a shotgun.

You do not need a scope. IMO, the only reason turkey scopes exist is because there is a generation of shooters who grew up with scopes and don't feel comfotable without one.

If you must use something optical, a red dot is lighter and smaller than a scope and more lenient with your head position.

I recommend a set of fiber optic open sights. Light, inexpensive and all you need. It's good to have something to make sure that your head is in the right position given the odd positions you sometimes have to shoot from in turkey hunting. It's easy to raise your head and shoot over the bird.

However, once you have your head in the right place, shooting a turkey is an easy shot. It's not hard to hit a more or less stationary target at 50 yards when you have a sweet spot 10" in diameter. I don't hunt with open sights on a rifle any more, but I can still see well enough to put the red blur between the two green blurs to hit a turkey <50 yards away with a shotgun.

You do not need a scope. IMO, the only reason turkey scopes exist is because there is a generation of shooters who have never learned to shoot without one.

If you must use something optical, a red dot is lighter and smaller than a scope and more lenient with your head position.

If this is truly a dedicated turkey gun, you might want to consider a shorter barrel. I started out with a 28" barrel, switched to a 20" and I'm not going back. I like a 20" barrel for the same reasons I prefer a 20" carbine to a 28" rifle when hunting in the woods.

Back