Browning Bolt Action

troutcreek

Hello
I’m a new member looking for the value of a bolt action rifle. I apologize in advance if this is not the right location but after a review of the other categories this one seemed right.

This rifle belonged to my father who passed on many years ago and I would like to sell it to a colleague from work, but want to price it appropriately.

The rifle is a Browning bolt action SN 2861Z5 heavy barrel in 243 calibre (Safari Grade).
I believe the action is the Sako L579. Checkered Clairo Walnut stock with simple engraving on the trigger and magazine plate. The condition is good to excellent (I worked with my father in the firearms industry in the 70’s & 80’s so I have a reasonable idea what excellent condition is, that said I haven’t gone over the entire piece with a magnifier).
The rifle includes a Leopold 7.5 fixed power scope with weaver rings and mounts.
Generally the rifle appears to be higher quality than the scope and mounts.

Like I said I’m interested in the approximate value on the rifle. I’m also interested in advise on how to legally transfer the rifle. When I left the fire arms industry, private parties could transfer ownership of a rifle without passing it through a dealer, but this may have changed.

Thank you and best regards,
Ray

[Browning bolt action SN 2861Z5 heavy barrel in 243 calibre (Safari Grade). I believe the action is the Sako L579.
Checkered Clairo Walnut stock with simple engraving on the trigger and magazine plate.
The condition is good to excellent.
The rifle includes a Leopold 7.5 fixed power scope with weaver rings and mounts.
]

Your 1965 Browning Safari was one of the ones that Browning built on the Sako action, and is worth at least $900 bareback.
The Leupond's worth another $200
The Weaver rings/mounts are well under $50.

Back