browning BLR question

beadiebob

Inactive
Traded a Glock 22 for a Belgium Browning BLR in 243. $350.00 invested in the Glock so I figure I made a good deal. Rifle is in good condition. Got two mags with it but one doesn't lock in like it should. Through research I have learned that the BLR's were only made in Belgium between 1969 and 1972 and I am told that the Belgium rifles for only made in 243 and 308 caliburs. Confirmation on this please. The mag I am having trouble with has on the back Cal. 243, Cal. 308 and Cal. 358. If I am correct with my info this would mean that it was made for the later version of the BLR. Gunsmith tells me my rifle is worth $750.00 to $800.00 dollars. Haven't ran the mag issue by him yet.

BLR Magazines

I own 2 308 BLRs, one Belgium 1969, one later 1980, made in Japan.
The change was made in 1981, and the earlier, pre '81 magazines are hard to find and high dollar, I gave $75 for one 5 years ago.
Off hand I don't know what calibers were pre '81, I'll try to find out and post more info.
The BLR, to my understanding, was the first Browning produced in Japan. It was the newest production line at Leige. The design is not by John M. Browning, but is a good one. Complicated to work on I have read. Many great features. I do not recall inventers name, same guy developed the Dan Wesson revolver line, another classic. For some reason I saw a lot of them in Alabama while living there, GS owner said they are a lot of them around there.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

We should avoid fighting when we can, but there are many things worse than bloodshed, and cowardice is one of them. Chairman Jeff Cooper

Back