Browning BLR in 308

aztec777

I am looking to acquire a Belgium BLR in 308. I have always liked the look and workmanship of these rifles, but I don't know much about them. I have found that it was manufactured in 1969. It is about 93% condition with one original magazine. The trade this gentleman proposes is VERY much in my favor, value-wise. I am very comfortable with my Ruger 77 in 308, though. Any experiences with this rifle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

I have a Browning BLR that is about 6 years old ... not the same deal ... but mine is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot ... three consecutive shots into a paper plate at 500 yards (scoped and prone of course, I'm not that good!). It is light, so it has some recoil ... but not too bad. I love mine.
Hope that helps.

I had one back in the 1970s. Good gun. Accurate. I'd jump on it, were I you.

You can always get another Ruger.

:), Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited November 19, 1999).]

aztec777,

The BLR manufactured in the year which you described may present some preferences for ammunition types. Although a very robust, reliable and accurate arm, it has a "tight chamber" meaning, the chamber was cut to minimum specifications for a given caliber. Some commercial and many reloads may not function smoothly in the chamber unless the brass was properly sized to similar specifications as the chamber. If you take up reloading, you will need to specify "small base" dies to ensure the resizing die is dimensioned properly.

I'm envious of your opportunity! I tried to buy one from an RI State Trooper a few years back, and he changed his mind at the last minute. I certainly couldn't fault him for deciding to hang on to an excellent firearm!

Well guys, I went and completed my trade for the rifle. I am now a proud owner of a BLR. What a sweet rifle. I keep all of my firearms clean and the first thing I did was to really look at all of the nooks and crannys. To my surprise, the gentleman I acquired the rifle from has the same notions as I when it comes to firearms maintenance. I called and thanked him for that. I haven't shot it yet, but I will once I get back from vacation. Just to make you guys a little more envious, I traded one handgun straight across for it that I only had $40 into. It has and older Redfield 2x7, a custom sling, and that awesome belgian craftsmanship. I think I did alright on this one. I plan on using the Federal 168 gr. match load, Winchester Silvertips, and handloaded ballistic tips. Anything I've missed?

How good are these Browning's, really? Everyone seems to praise Winchester, Remington and Savage, but rarely hear the word Browning. Just got a A-bolt Varmint in .308 and not many people have been able to give any feedback as to whether it is a good rifle or not. Acquired it for a song and I just don't know if she's a keeper or not.

Robert

Robert-You seem to run the same brain waves as me. In my opinion, the 41 Mag is one of the few handgun cartridges that is versatile enough for anything from defense to hunting. I like the 10mm also. Anyway, the A Bolt is a beautiful rifle. I've shot these in 22, 243, 308, and 300 Mag. They were all highly accurate, I'd have to guess under 1 M.O.A. and built well. I think the browning rifles are becoming a cult thing. I see the Brownings, especially the older ones, as some of the best production guns available to hunters. They remind me of the Husqvarna rifles imported in the 60's and 70's. Built like a tank yet buttery smooth. Those rifles equal confidence. I'd keep that A bolt of yours. Put as much scope as you can afford and smile everyday. I think the reason most people focus on the 'other' rifles is because of the media. Pick up any gun rag and see how many Remington, Winchester, and Savage ads there are compared to Browning. Browning chooses to spend their money on the rifles, not the marketing. By the way, have you looked at or shot the Browning BAR? That's a whole 'nother story.

Never seriously looked at Browning, because they are a bit too nice and expensive. Every time I'd see one, they would just blow me away. Went to a gun show in September looking for 45-70's, Browning made a lever one at one time, beautiful (now they only make the single action). Cheapest price was $1,000 (Winchester had their 45-70 at about $900). Finally, got lucky and found a Marlin 1896G. I have seen those BAR rifles, very nice. All Browning, they have a glow to them. Like you shouldn't touch them, may put a smudge on them. Landed on this one by accident.
The rep sold his samples to the dealer and this rifle had been damaged on the stock (so they thought). I buy lots of guns from this guy, so he gave me the rifle for $400. I do woodwork on the side. Fixed the stock in a afternoon. I put a hot steamy iron on the dents, pushed them right out. And then, some steel wool, rubbing compound and polish. It's new again! This was total luck.
I dig .41 Magnum! Best all round caliber. Mostly use them for defense, in town and in the woods. Load one mean bullet, turn just about anything in a telescope (Hubbell size!). Have a S&W 610 in 10mm too, but it is not battle tested yet. That is a fun cartridge too.
Thank for your input.

Robert

Robert-This BLR has some light wood scratches in it. Would you mind if I emailed you in the future for some help? Sounds like you know a lot more about wood than I do. Thanks for your information.

Steve

I had a BLR in 7mm08 that I really, really regret selling.
I had always wanted a Ruger #1 and when one came available I sold off my BLR to buy it. The #1 is OK, but the BLR was more accurate and a better all-around rifle.

The only comment I have to make is that on mine, the magazine had a little play in it and since its located right where the rifle balances, you tend place your hand there when carrying and it would "click" and make noises if I wasn't careful when stalking deer. Metallic sounds like that are the end of any stalk
I had intended to find a rubber gasket or washer of some kind to put around the base of the magazine to fix that but I never got around to it.
This rifle will serve you well. These rifles tend to be as accurate as bolt rifles and far handier.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back