Browning BLR in 308 Part 2

aztec777

I finally went out and shot my new rifle. It is an impressive piece. With the cheap mounts and scope I managed to shoot a .925" 5 shot group at 100 yds. with custom loaded Ballistic Tips. With Silvertips I got a 1.2" group and with some Federal 168 match I got a 1" group. This is so impressive that I wouldn't believe it unless I was there. I can't wait to mount a one piece base, good rings, and a Burris 2.5x10 Posi-Lock A.O. or a Zeiss Diavari-C 3x9x36. I have several bolt action rifles that can't do this. This is a rifle I'll take to the grave with me, maybe. Any other loads I should try? This is the first lever action I've owned and I can't believe I waited so long to pick one up. Sorry about the rambling, but I just had to tell someone.

Congrats on the good behavior of your new pet. Feels good, doesn't it? :)

I'm mildly curious about your "cheap mounts". For instance, I've mostly used Weaver bases and rings for 50 years, and have never found any reason to change. And they're about as inexpensive as anything I've seen. I do have Conetrol mounts on one rifle, but about the only notable difference is that they are sleeker and prettier. And too dang complicated for me to ever buy any more--they work well, but violate the KISS principle.

Actually, with the groups you are getting, I don't think I'd change a thing...

Best luck, Art

You know Art, after posting that I started thinking about it and kicked myself. Why the heck should I change my setup if it is shooting so well? It has a Weaver two piece base and a Tasco World Class Plus scope. I can live with the mounts, but that scope will eventually be replaced some year. I've had nothing but trouble with Tasco in the past. I don't trust it. I do plan on hunting with this rifle, so I need reliable equipment. Tell me if I'm too far off. Thanks for the reply.

Steve

You know Art, after posting that I started thinking about it and kicked myself. Why the heck should I change my setup if it is shooting so well? It has a Weaver two piece base and a Tasco World Class Plus scope. I can live with the mounts, but that scope will eventually be replaced some year. I've had nothing but trouble with Tasco in the past. I don't trust it. I do plan on hunting with this rifle, so I need reliable equipment. Tell me if I'm too far off. Thanks for the reply.

Steve

When Tasco scopes first hit the market, they were known for how bright they were. The drawback was that they would "self-dis-assemble" under "real rifle" recoil. So, most folks relegated them to the .22 class.

I had not heard any different until sometime back, here on TFL. Several people spoke up, saying that the Tasco "World Class" scopes do quite well on .30-'06s and 7mm Mags, etc.

So, no first-hand, personal knowledge, but these newer versions from Tasco are apparently okay...

FWIW, Art

o, most folks felt they were

Art-I've posted another message asking specifically about these scopes. Maybe we'll both learn a thing or two. Thanks for the thoughts.

Steve

Back