Browning BLR 7- 08 breakdown--how good?

stagpanther

I've never had a Browning--and lord knows I don't need another rifle--but I find this concept almost irresistible, plus it gives me an excuse to get yet another 308-based cartridge. Just how accurate is it--and any compromises compared to a one-piece?

I've heard reports that the break-down models aren't as accurate as the standard version. Stands to reason - more places for flex.

If the sights are on the barrel, group sizes should be consistently okay. If the rear sight is mounted on the receiver, or if a scope is used, wobble from any looseness would be some amount of problem.

When new, it shouldn't be a problem for a deer hunter. With repeated take-down, maybe some loosening could happen. Shim-stock O rings of 0.001" or 0.002" allow tightening. (Easily made with scissors and an X-Acto knife.)

I have zeroed in 2 of them, one in 243 and one in 223. Both take downs. Both shot under MOA. I am quite impressed. I expect the 7-08 would be just as good.
The scout scope mount is non-traditional, but is a vary good system and because it mounts on the barrel, the zero is not effected and apparently, neither is the accuracy.

Before TC was bought out--I heard their Dimension rifles shot very well--I've often wondered how much of a trade-off there was between easy barrel exchange and accuracy.

Well we can look at the AR15 and see what can be done when a scope follows the barrel (and upper on an AR) instead of being screwed hard and fast to the receiver with a movable barrel.
Many of the older take-down designs had a barrel that would move independent of the receiver and the scope was on the receiver, so the impact could shift a bit as the barrel would wear.

I do not think that will happen with the BLR, but I have not had enough experience with the alloy frame take down BLRs yet to know for sure. All of the ones I have shot were brand new.

I own a 25 year old 30-06 but it's a steel frame and not a take down, so I have no empirical knowledge as to how well the take down feature will last and stay accurate

I guess the only way we will know for certain is to buy one and live with it, and shoot it a lot for about 20 years and see.
:)
Sounds like a fun experiment to me

I guess the only way we will know for certain is to buy one and live with it, and shoot it a lot for about 20 years and see.

Sounds like a fun experiment to me
+1 for sure--but that's how ended up with multiple safe-loads of weapons to begin with LOL

I have never much felt like having a take-down capability on a rifle was very good idea. For what? I guess so you could pack it around concealed? From a manufacturer's perspective, I think I understand it better, like, "If we make it, we will sell more rifles, regardless of need." I think it's mostly a gimmick.

The appeal of take down rifles is for tight spaces in transportation. Under airplane seats, inside back-packs, duffel bags, inside suit cases for commercial air travel and so on.

As a rule I don't need a rifle to be smaller than it is when it's ready to fire, but when I was younger and I did a lot of traveling such a rifles would have been nice.

Back