Browning BAR

TPAW

I've been wanting a Browning BAR in 30.06 for years. I finally have the money for a nice Christmas gift for myself, but now I'm not so sure? Since they are not made in Belgium anymore, are they still considered a good firearm? :confused:
I heard that more than one country assembles/makes them? Is that true?

I'm sure that more than one country assembles them, with the way globalization is going.

However; I remember hearing a while back people flipping out because some of Browning's guns were made in Japan or something like that. While it was true there were issues with the guns simply because the companies had not perfected their processes yet.

These were older runs and I don't remember which guns they specifically were.

30.06 is a great cartridge but the .308 in the Short Trac version might offer superior performance. I owned a .308 Ruger Mark series rifle and it was excellent. I loved everything about the .308 cartridge, and that gun, but I had to sell it.

Browning is a great company and regardless of where the gun might be made I would trust just the Browning name alone. I'm sure the after-sales service (if even needed) would be acceptable.

Good luck.

My friends that have them love them. One friend has five of them. I would make sure I knew how to clean one (BAR) before I bought one. FWIW one friend had problems with Browning customer service once, said that was it for him and Browning. I love my A-Bolt SS in 30-06.

Made in Belgium; assembled in Portugal.

A BAR in .30-06 would be a classic combination.

I have a Mk II Safari / B.O.S.S. in 7mm Rem.Mag.; it's my 'nicest' rifle and one of the most accurate.

Take a good look around the internet.
Google for 'images' of the BAR.
Check out the Browning site.
Decide if you want nice wood and bluing or synthetic/matte.

GET ONE! :D

It's the only rifle I hunt with. I've got it in 7mm mag and it is accurate as hell as far out as I'm willing to reach to kill a deer. Leupold 3x9 on top, and it stays in my truck most of the year. I bought the safari grade, and wanted one rifle I could really use as a tool without having to worry about scratches or dings. I told myself that when I bought it, and I've never worried about it. Very dependable and reliable.

IS that enough of an endorsement???:D

Japanese

Good quality control...

But there are simply too many things to go wrong with so many moving parts... :(

If you don't have to have a semi-auto... don't. :)

BAR's

Im not sure where they are make'in them now but im pretty certain there nice guns, at least i hope, anyhow i saw one in a mag. recently and it was real nice lookin, i would love to have it, it was in black synthetic and it looked great.

Because I'm not in a hurry, I think I'll look around for one that is older (Belgium Grade) and not one that is parted out to other countries. Not that there's anything wrong with one that's parted out, it's just that I like having "original" equipment. If I ever wanted to sell it for any reason, I believe it would bring more money and sell faster.

I have owned a BAR Safari 30.06 since 1997 and used it every year deer hunting. It has killed many deer and shoots as accurate as some bolt guns do. It is my go to rifle that just feels right, when carrying it in the woods.

:)

I'm 99.44% sure the BAR is NOT made in Japan.
"Made in Belgium; assembled in Portugal."

Go to a gun shop and ask to see an example of the BAR and the A-Bolt or A-Bolt II.

The A-Bolt's are mfg. by Miroku in Japan; again, I'm reasonably sure of that.
I believe some of the Browning shotguns are also mfg. by Miroku.

Good Luck.:)

My BAR is only a couple of years old. It was made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. My two A-bolts were made in Japan.

Last tiume I checked out Browning was A-bolt medallion, the barrel said made in Japan. But that does not mean whole rifle was made in Japan, right. It iskinda funny Japanese makes rifles and ship to U.S. but they can not own guns over there.

Back