Browning BAR vs. Benelli R1

SageRod

Need Benelli R1 opinions if anyone has one. Specifically regarding personal protection reliabilty concerns for dangerous game, not hunting.

Thanks,

The R1 can change calibers by changing the barrel, there's .30-'06, .308, and another one that I can't think of. It also looks like it's pregnant. Buy it if you want to. Benelli has a pretty good reputation.

"Personal protection from dangerous game" and you are not hunting? I can't think of anything in the southwest that would be a problem. I can't think of any critters there that you couldn't put down pretty easy with a 44mag revolver if it were close enough to be a problem for you.....

-tINY

El Chupacabras travel in packs and the R1 has a small magazine. I'd use a .308 AR or Saiga with a high cap magazine instead. Good luck fella, those things are SCARY!:eek:

I have both and I love them both.
I have heard BAR jams alot, however mine has not jammed yet. <knock wood>
Generally, Benelli R1 is more reliable version of BARs. But I have heard alot of good things about the new BARs but I havn't shot those, yet.

It's for protection against grizzly bear in back country Alaska for a female who doesn't shoot very much and says a 12 gauge slug gun is too much on the recoil end. They're looking at the recoil reduction system on the R1. The Browning claims its gas operation reduces recoil. 30.06 is what they're looking at. I told them go bigger and get a muzzle brake installed along with iron sights. Why they're hellbent between these 2 weapons is beyond me. :confused:

Can you get either of them chambered for 338 mag or 458? (or even 375 H&H).

A shortened gas gun like an 11-87 Rem might soak up some of the recoil.

Heck, a Limbsaver pad on a pump-action shotgun might do it....

Or let her practice with reduced recoil loads. Then she can load up with express magnums or whatever out in Bear Country. I don't think she'd be to recoil shy if her life was at stake.

Most times, Mr Grizz can be avoided when you can see 50 yards or more through the alders... let him have the sandwich.

-tINY's 2¢

Back