Browning BAR Safari II care question

Harry Callahan

All,
I've got a Browning BAR Safari in .30-06 on layaway. Could someone tell me how to best care for this rifle. For instance, best way to lube action, any disassemblies needed, any special attention to any parts, etc.? TIA.

The owners manual gives you the teardown. If you dont get one Browning will send you one free. I have a safari 2 in .300 w/m and I have pulled the bolt and cleaned the action a couple of times and after 150 rds or so did not find it all that dirty. But it is an expensive and very accurate rifle and its best to keep it up. Is yours coming with the BOSS on the barrel ? That brake/tuner is excellent ,but freaking LOUD.

Harry,

Just follow the manual when taking the slide rails out of the receiver to clean the gas piston. Watch how you take it apart. The gas piston doesn't really get that dirty. But they say every so often to have the piston cleaned out. Read the manual and you will see what I mean. I had a Browning Bar Mark II Safari 270 BOSS. Awesome gun. It would flat out shoot for an automatic. It shot about as good as any factory bolt gun I have owned. The accuracy out of these Browning Bars will give a lot of factory bolt guns all they want and then some.

Brad

I have a Colt HBAR in .223 and disassemble it after every 200 rnds or so. Are there any similarities with the Browning as far as that goes?

Harry,

I would say that every 400-500 rounds should be sufficient in cleaning out the piston. As long as the action bolt is cycling, you know it's working. :D It's not hard taking the gun apart to clean the piston. If I can do it, you can.

Brad

My .02 worth - The manual may not discuss protecting the muzzle during cleaning. Dewey makes a little brass muzzle protector that keeps you from scuffing the crown while you're cleaning. Only around $7, I think and worth it. Works quite well with the Dewey one-piece coated cleaning rod.

dmazur,

Good point.

My Bar had the BOSS system. It came with a plactic screw on cleaning adaptor that screwed directly on the threads that the BOSS weight did. You had to take the BOSS weight off of course to screw the cleaning adaptor on. It worked great, and lined the cleaning rod up with the bore.

Brad

Back