Browning BAR Question

I'm going to say "No" but this is only based on experience from roughly 10 years ago. I had a pre-BOSS Stainless Stalker that I wanted to have the BOSS put on and Browning wouldn't do it but I can't remember why. This stance may have changed now but you would have to call to find out. You might try Midwest Gun Works to see if they would do it as they used to be a service center for Browning. I'm not sure if they still are or not at this time but they do carry a lot of Browning/Winchester parts.

I'm in the wrong place. I thought that you were talking about a REAL BAR.

000201D6.gif

Brownells sells one made by Que industries that is "licensed under the Browning BOSS System". Pretty expensive and it looks different to me in the photo. Not OEM I know, but I'm sure it could be installed by a good gunsmith.

Well, actually it says no gunsmith required.

Go to Brownells website or see if QUE has one. It appears that you buy it for the specific OD of the muzzle and it has a knurled nut that you tighten down effectively clamping it on the barrel. Intriguing idea actually if it will stay put. Wonder if anybody on here has tried one.

Nice choice in the rifle. :)

The European models show, or have shown, sight & BOSS together. So, that was a factory option if you're a Euro~!

Physically, then, the job could be done by a good gunsmith, and you could have both.

I have a 7mm Rem.Mag. version of the Safari MkII with the BOSS, or "B.O.S.S." to be absolutely correct in the abbreviation.
It is my nicest rifle, for sure. Shoots really well, and feels good when doing it.

I would not try to retrofit a BOSS on the rifle you have, though. It would be cost prohibitive and overall end up being a major PITA, in my opinion...
It would be easier to add sights to a rifle that already had the BOSS on it.

BTW, the BOSS bbl. is about 2" SHORTER than the ones with sights on it, if I'm not mistaken.
You're .308 is proabably better the way it is than if you'd bought the BOSS model. It could theoretically be better with the addition of the BOSS, but it's a gamble.
Also, you end up fiddling around with about as much ammo either way.
The real advantage of the BOSS is MAKING the rifle like what you want to shoot.

I hope that wasn't too much of a ramble.
Good Luck! :D

Thanks. LOVE the rifle. I cannot load my Nosler 150 BTs close to the rifling due to mag size. I thought I could get better accuracy with a BOSS (I'm too lazy to put the spaces and periods in there!). Have you had any trigger work done to it? Recoil pad?

OLD PIC - here it is!

You could have that QUE Ind. part put on and move the sight back a bit...that'd work.
I wonder if the BOSS-CR ( conventional recoil ) part would thread onto the QUE...? It doesn't have holes in it except for the ones to use the little wrench to screw it on with.
The pic shows my rifle with the list of things I did to it. That's all. I am probably going to put on the nice wood stock it came with, if only to make it look nicer and match up with the Browning A5 I bought...:D

Browning BAR MkII Safari w/BOSS
10609BM007_BROWNING_BAR-BOSS_7MM_R_L.jpg

7mm Rem.Mag.
Leupold 4.5-14x40/ 6" sunshade/ StoneyPoint target turrets.
Millet Angle-Loc base/'engraved' rings.
B-SQUARE Roto-Tilt Match bipod.
Browning X-cellerator sling.
Browning hearing protection.

I don't see why you couldn't fit one to it if you wanted to spend the money to do it. The main problem is going to be finding the actual 4 parts, Brownells sells one of them. Your going to have to go to a gunsmith who will thread your barrel and that is about $200 usually. So if you figure $200 for the labor and then probably another $150 to $200 for the BOSS parts if you can get them, is it worth it? Plus you will need a scope and rings or have the smith drill and tap your front sight so you can reinstall it.

Another option is using a barrel tuner if all your after is the accuracy. Jerry Stiller of Stiller Precision makes a great tuner and will install it as well. Give him a call if you don't have to have the BOSS but want the accuracy.

The device doesn't require threading, correct.
I'm wondering if the BOSS muzzle brake or conventional recoil device will thread onto the QUE device's threads...

Imagine that...at thread about threads. :eek:

Back