Browning BAR question/ trade scenario

Dc777

Today I had a trade offer for a browning BAR in .270. The guy wants my Remington 700 .243 with Leupold base and rings and a Simmons scope. He also wants my remington 770 .300 win mag with a brand new camo stock, and a brand new 6-18x50 bushnell scope. He also wants all of the ammo that I have ( if I had to guess I'd say 150 rounds)

According to him the browning was made in 1967 and it has ( prototype ) or something to that extent on it. According to browning '67 was the first year the gun was made?

Do you guys think this would be a fair trade? The gun I really want is a BAR safari with the boss system in a .30 caliber, preferably a .300 mag.

The issue I am having is giving up my only two deer rifles ( unless you count ar's,Ak's, and sks's as deer rifles) for 1 gun. I'd hate to be at the camp 2 1/2 hours away and drop the gun or something and not have a backup rifle that is sighted in. The guy says that his gun was the safari version before they called them safaris... He also said that he had a problem with the gun rusting so he had a gunsmith put a "ceramic" coating on it. My grandfather looked the gun up in his gun pricing book and says that they are worth as little as $400

ANY THOUGHTS? Thanks guys

Why not take the SKS as backup?

On another note, I would pass. His rifle really is worth a maximum of $700 dollars. Your ammo alone is worth at least $200.00. If his rifle was immaculate without rust, you may be close with just the rifles, but not the ammo.

The gun I really want is a BAR safari with the boss system in a .30 caliber, preferably a .300 mag

I found your answer. ;) That's a good trade. For him. Not sure what premium a "prototype" BAR may normally command, if any, but with a barrel coating job, even its base value is ruined IMO. Too bad, I like the .270. Sounds like he not only wants to cut his loses, but make a little also.

Grandpa had one in .270 made around that time. It was when they were 100% made in Belgium. I was not a fan of it for hunting. You could not ease a shell into the chamber quietly like with a bolt action. If you tried it would not go into battery. It also failed to eject and feed the next round reliably. I think it was cleaned incorrectly at some point and the problems could have been fixed but I was not old enough to tell him what was wrong with it or get away with fixing it myself. I went to an M77 in 30-06 and have used bolt guns for hunting every since.

Anyway, it sounds like you would be getting the very short end of that trade.

He said that he has never wanted to sell the gun, but he needs another .243 because he takes kids hunting. Who knows. The funny thing is I now know the value of the gun but I've never seen one of these guns being sold for a fair price.

My Dad bought and gave me a Safari BAR .30-06 that he picked up for $400.00 about four years ago.

B5.jpg

I hate reducing the collection. I wouldn't make the trade just because of that.

I'd gladly give $400 for one of them, but here in south Alabama the cheapest I have seen is $650 and it did not have the boss system, not mention it was scratched up.

Now I just remembered the worst hunting experience of my life. My 3030 wasn't sighted in so I had my grandfathers safari.... A huge 10 point buck was 20 feet away from the side of the shooting house. I aimed for the neck and all I heard was " click" when I squeezed the trigger. I never have figured out what went wrong. One was in the chamber and the safety was off. I ejected a shell real quick so it would load another one and once again, click. I was probabally 16 then and have yet to see another deer of that caliber. Keep in mind in Deep South Alabama our deer are considered small. Dang, I wish I hadn't just realized that that was a bar.

Hunting antelope, my brother being the guru of hunting, we slipped up on a threesome. He had me ease a round in the chamber. Click. You have to let it slam home, which means you have to chamber it before hand and use the safety and good sense. A bolt gun as its advantages sometimes, in safety and loading the first round. Now, if you happen to miss, though I know of no one that has ever missed a shot under 2,000 yards, the follow up with the BAR should be faster.

When I get in the shooting house I chamber a round immediately.... In this case my grandfather chambered it.

I text the guy back and told him he could have the .243 and the ammo that goes with it (58 rounds) but that was it.. I text him a good 3 hours ago and he hasn't responded,

Back