Browning Bar II legal in California?

Dirty_Zulu

Some people says yes so I called CDNN to order one. The guy over the phone says no cuz it got a detachable mag.

hmm... so can someone clarify this?

Thanks!

A BAR II is perfectly legal in California as are the Mini 14, M1A, SU-16 and Benelli R1. To be an assault rifle it would also need a pistol grip or threaded barrel or flash hider. To be a destructive device, it would need a grenade launcher.

When SB-23 went into effect in the PRK...

Turner's yanked all their Browning BAR rifles off the shelves, particularly those equipped with the Browning BOSS muzzle brake/harmonic balancer, due to the gray area caused by the legislation. The guy at CDNN is not being an idiot - he's being careful. When your retail FFL is on the line, you tend to do that, because a firearm you sell to Texas may not be legal in Kalifornia. What got the BAR with BOSS in hot water was the following:

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

The rub with the BOSS-equipped BAR was that it functioned to some capacity as a flash suppressor, and the barrel was indeed threaded to accept the BOSS, or flash suppressor/grenade launcher. (Like we all do that with our Browning BAR's...)

And the revised description of muzzle attachments went like so:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/attachmentc.pdf

Then there was the issue of the Kalifornia DOJ's vague and ambiguous definition of a "conspicuously protruding pistol grip." As currently written, if it is possible to grasp any stock on a detachable magazine, semiautomatic, centerfire rifle in a manner that places the web of the firing hand below the top of the exposed trigger when firing - making it an assault weapon in the eyes of the DOJ. A hot topic again for the above questions and answers session.

I'd keep that BOSS-equipped BAR out of the sight of any Kalifornia DOJ agents, regardless. ;)

I was never so glad to see Kalifornia in my rear-view mirror that August of 1999. My truck was loaded down with AK's, AR's, a BAR, BM-59, M14NM, and oodles of other firearms that the DOJ had wanted me to register. They could piss up a rope, as far as I was concerned. I had 300 30-round AK magazines on board, too, for a friend who couldn't leave the state until after SB-23 went into effect. :(

Gewehr98

That's all old news. FOUR years old. The BAR is LEGAL. There is NO pistol grip issue. There is NO flashhider issue with the BOSS device. the DOJ has long ago ruled on that. They decided to use the same definition of a flashhider that the BATF uses. If it was ok with the BATF, it was ok with the CA DOJ.

FAL stripped receivers are 100 percent legal to buy and sell here in CA. Happens all the time. But I still know a couple FFLs who SWEAR they are illegal and considered a CA AW. A FFL does not always know the law.

FAL stripped receivers are 100 percent legal to buy and sell here in CA.

I am not doubting you, but I know of very few if any FFLs that will deal in stripped FAL receivers. I know there are a ton of CA legal FALs out there now, but I was unsure of how legal it is to have just a plain Jane FAL receiver, or if it had to be already modified to have the magazine permanently attached. I personally would be uncomfortable acquiring a stripped FAL receiver without some letter from the CA DOJ saying that it is okay.

I am not doubting you, but I know of very few if any FFLs that will deal in stripped FAL receivers. I know there are a ton of CA legal FALs out there now, but I was unsure of how legal it is to have just a plain Jane FAL receiver, or if it had to be already modified to have the magazine permanently attached. I personally would be uncomfortable acquiring a stripped FAL receiver without some letter from the CA DOJ saying that it is okay.

There are plenty of FFLs willing to sell the FAL type receivers. Heck, DSA sells complete FAL type rifles that meet CA law. The mag is fixed and the dust cover has an integral stripper clip guide for loading. My local FFL is a stocking dealer for them. Has about 10-15 on the shelf.

If you're building your own and want a detachable mag then the pistol grip cannot be installed. I know several people who have gone that route.

Except for the genuine FN FAL, the FAL TYPE receiver was never banned under any of the CA AW laws. Under SB23 a AW was defined by features. That's why one can assemble a FAL type rifle and they are still legal to buy, sell, transfer, etc.

I just confirmed with CDNN on people's comments.

They don't ship any sort of semi-autos to California regardless if they're DOJ approved. No SU-16, BAR, Mini's, etc...

:(

Back